Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Wind Generator

Ann-Sofie Svanberg <kanalmamman@...>

I must correct my self, misunderstod my husband.

Our Silent Wind 400 has produced around 1100 Ah the last 13 months. During that time we have done one Atlantic crossing and been in an area without wind for 5 months (chaguaramas, Trinidad).
The wind gen is a greate suppliment to the other power sources on board.

The resonance is easy to get rid of. Fill the pole with pipe insulation. You know the grey foam saussages with a hole in the middle, very much like a noodle. Pull the cables inside the hole in the insulation and no more irritating humming sound.

Also you can not compare a wind gen you bought 10 years ago, not even one you bought 3 years ago. The development have taken a hugh step forward.

Regards
Annsofie
S/Y Lady Annila SM 232
Present at Bequia

Skickat från min iPad

24 jan 2015 kl. 19:56 skrev "'Mark Erdos' mcerdos@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...>:

We too have an Air Breeze installed by the previous owner. It is very cleverly mounted on the port side rail just a little forward of the mizzen mast. We do not have any vibrations due to the mount. I have to agree about the hum, There is no getting around it. The most annoying part of the hum is it is not consistent. It goes up and down in tone and stops and starts.

When at anchor we will let it run during the day but can’t tolerate the hum at night. It needs wind in excess of 10 knots to generate enough to register. If the wind is strong enough, over 15 knots, it will offset the need to run the genset and keep up with the demand of the refrigerator/freezer.

I believe a combination of Solar and wind is the way to go. We have not added solar, yet. But when we do, we will keep the Air Breeze.

With best regards,

Mark

Super Maramu 2000

Hull #275