From: "Beaute Olivier atlanticyachtsurvey@... [amelyachtowners]"
To: "amelyachtowners@..."
Sent: Thursday, 29 January 2015 8:17 AM
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Mastbend AMEL 54

Good evening,

the original factory settings on the AMEL masts, for Super Maramus (Danny) with almost not angled spreaders, or for AMEL 54s (Martin) with angled spreaders, are made with a slight bend, the top of the mast leaning backwards of a few cms (as Martin says).
The main reason is on the AMEL ketch rigged vessels, the genoa is unusually bigger than the mainsail (compared to sloop rigged vessels). While sailing, this rather big genoa tends to pull the mast forward (more than on other boats).
If the mast is straight in the harbor, there will be a slight bend forward while close hauling with the full genoa.
With a slight bend backwards in the harbor, the mast is about straight when close hauling.

These masts are not designed to bend forward (I'm not sure either that any mast has ever been designed to bend forward).

The second reason is that there is no adjustable backstay, and, at sea, if you realize that the mast is bending forward, you cannot adjust with pulling the backstay.

Martin, you should keep your slight bend. You'll have a look at sea while close hauling, the head should not bend forward.

Best regards.

Olivier

On Wednesday, January 28, 2015 8:18 PM, "Danny and Yvonne SIMMS simms@... [amelyachtowners]" wrote:

Hi, Mast should be totally straight. Just tighten the fore stay until the rearward bend is eliminated. Presumably you didn't adjust the lower shrouds so they are holding the lower mast in its previous position so you just have to bring the top into line by tightening the forestay.
Regards
Danny
SM 299
Ocean Pearl