Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Sea Water Valve / Stop Cock Replacement

john martin <symoondog@...>

Bob, I ordered new valves myself because the old ones are a little hard to turn off and on. The fiberglass around the valves on the holding tanks seem to be more decorative then anything. Its above the water line so i'll just cut around the valve and take it out and put the new one in. If my wife says it looks ugly I'll wrap some wide white tape around it. If the fiberglass turns out to be structual and needs to be re- wraped I'll let you know.
John "Moondog" SM 248

From: "rossirossix4" <equinoxsolstice@...>
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Sea Water Valve / Stop Cock Replacement
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2006 19:15:40 -0000

Amel recommends replacing or rebuilding the "sea water valves" in
their maintenance schedule. In their owners manual they refer
these as "stop cocks".

I obtained replacement stop cock valves for the engine sea water
intake, fwd and aft head intake, and holding tank discharge from
Amel and they sent the correct replacements which are 1 1/4" and 1
1/2" ball
valves.

However, I received no instructions for replacements and don't see
this addressed anywhere. The engine and head intakes look fairly
straight forward, but the holding tank discharge valve appears to be
glassed in or on the bottom part of the valve. Almost looks like it
must
be cut or removed to replace the valve/ stop cock.

These are for my 1993 Santorin, but should be similar or identical
for
the SMs during this period. Has anyone had experience with
replacement of these valves? I would appreciate any advice you
could
give me. Also, is teflon tape or grease advisable in the
replacement?

Bob Rossi, "Brittany de la Mer" #86.

Maint schedule is posted at
http://f4.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/EKT4QzUYDn-
WiJLZppAxC9lqQ1hYSIwyk1hCYdOdB4hdjZEm2CkUB-
_xcSDjtbz7RnSpGlGbYND4eH6VGCFc1SBwPg578N3Xnbg/maintenence%
20schedule.pdf