Re: Sea Water Valve / Stop Cock Replacement

John and Anne on Bali Hai <hollamby@...>

I had to replace the stop cock on the forward holding tank as the
old one seized up. The local chandlery sold replacements..in bronze
as the original for about US$10 or in stainless for $50.
It was difficult to cut the fibreglass around the bottom until I
bought a couple of long Abrafiles from the local toolshop. These are
made to be used in a hacksaw and are about three sixteenths of an
inch in diameter and 10 inches long. Although not designed for this
job they do bend enough to file through the fibreglass.I held the
ends with bits of rag. I also replaced the plastic tubing with a new
piece of Sanitary tubing.
Good luck John SM 319

--- In amelyachtowners@..., "john martin"
<symoondog@...> wrote:

Bob, I ordered new valves myself because the old ones are a little
hard to
turn off and on. The fiberglass around the valves on the holding
tanks seem
to be more decorative then anything. Its above the water line so
i'll just
cut around the valve and take it out and put the new one in. If my
wife says
it looks ugly I'll wrap some wide white tape around it. If the
fiberglass
turns out to be structual and needs to be re- wraped I'll let you
know.
John "Moondog" SM 248

From: "rossirossix4" <equinoxsolstice@...>
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Sea Water Valve / Stop Cock
Replacement
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2006 19:15:40 -0000

Amel recommends replacing or rebuilding the "sea water valves" in
their maintenance schedule. In their owners manual they refer
these as "stop cocks".

I obtained replacement stop cock valves for the engine sea water
intake, fwd and aft head intake, and holding tank discharge from
Amel and they sent the correct replacements which are 1 1/4" and 1
1/2" ball
valves.

However, I received no instructions for replacements and don't see
this addressed anywhere. The engine and head intakes look fairly
straight forward, but the holding tank discharge valve appears to
be
glassed in or on the bottom part of the valve. Almost looks like
it
must
be cut or removed to replace the valve/ stop cock.

These are for my 1993 Santorin, but should be similar or identical
for
the SMs during this period. Has anyone had experience with
replacement of these valves? I would appreciate any advice you
could
give me. Also, is teflon tape or grease advisable in the
replacement?

Bob Rossi, "Brittany de la Mer" #86.

Maint schedule is posted at
http://f4.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/EKT4QzUYDn-
WiJLZppAxC9lqQ1hYSIwyk1hCYdOdB4hdjZEm2CkUB-
_xcSDjtbz7RnSpGlGbYND4eH6VGCFc1SBwPg578N3Xnbg/maintenence%
20schedule.pdf

Express yourself instantly with MSN Messenger! Download today -
it's FREE!