Leaving to go down island

Curt Epperson

In late Feb we leave PR for our first extended Caribbean cruise.  After a stop at St. Croix we will cross to St. Martin/Maarten.  I have been reading whatever I can find, but am confused about customs/immigration.  Looks like the Dutch side office at the bridge is easier and more convenient but more expensive.  I read that the French side has "self check in" using computers at various locations but I have found no listing of those locations.  Is there adequate depth to enter the lagoon from Marigot Bay?  One website/guide said "local knowledge" only but the chart shows adequate depth in the channel.

Also, how easy is it to drop off a crew member at the airport in Sint Maaten to fly home?

Does anyone have suggestions and tips?  Any experienced, first hand info would be very useful.  Thanks in advance.

sail2live "at" hotmail "dot" com.

Curt Epperson
S/V Languedoc
1987 Maramu