Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Electrolysis caused by a non-isolated alternator

Alan Leslie

Thanks for that Bill and Kent
I just went and checked with my multimeter to be sure that the 12V alternators are isolated...and they are....they have separate -ve cables that are insulated from the alt case.

But, a thought, Kent, IF you installed a solenoid in the negative feed from the start battery so that it was only connected during engine starting, that would effectively isolate your 12 volt alternator...its frame would still be connected to the bonding system, but the -12V wouldn't be connected...and that's the issue as I understand it.

Is that logical Bill ??...Olivier ??

Cheers
Alan
SV Elyse SM437