Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] AMEL MARAMU GROUNDING SYSTEM

Roger Banks <roger.banks@...>

Hi Dennis

In the Perkins at least, the heat exchanger has its own zinc which should be changed each year as a service item. Low down at the aft end of the exchanger and quite accessible is a normal looking bolt which, if you unscrew it will look just a like a flat plug, because the zinc, a tube shape of a few centimetres length, will have worn away. Take the plug to a good chandlery and you should find a replacement easily. I believe there is also an exchangeable zinc plug for the water heater but not on my boat.

Regards, Roger, Zorba, Mango 28

On 03/03/2006, at 11:26 PM, DENNIS STULLER wrote:

HI ROGER,

THANKS FOR THE INFORMATION. I SOMETIMES FEEL THAT I
KNOW MORE ABOUT BOAT GROUNDING SYSTEMS THAN I
UNDERSTAND. IN MY CASE THE PROPELLOR SHAFT IS NOT
INSULATED AND IT APPEARS THAT I HAVE SOME CORROSION
PROBLEMS AS EVIDENCED AT THE TRANSMISSION COOLER AND
ENGINE HEAT EXCHANGER. I AM GOING TO DIG DEEPER AND
CHECK CONNECTEDNESS AND CONDUCTIVITY OF THE SYSTEM. I
WILL LET EVERYONE KNOW WHAT I FIND.

REGARDS, DENNIS STULLER MARAMU #186