Re: Speed vs. RPM

asm283 <no_reply@...>

Hello Tony

This is not an uncommon accurence on the Volvo 80hp. What you need
done is to have the turbo charger removed and have the carbon inside
the turbo removed. This is not a big deal so dont let your mechanic
make it one. What happens is that carbon deposits built up inside
the turbo housing and stop the turbo from rotating. Thus the
reduction in power. Once this is done and all things being clean you
should be able to run at 2700 to 2800 RPM and have a speed of about
8.5 knots.

Hope this helps

Vito

WANDERER ASM#283

--- In amelyachtowners@..., "agav8ter" <agav8ter@...>
wrote:

Hello all,
We have a S/M #266 and it is fairly new to us. Question: #266 has
the
Volvo engine that has a sticker on it saying built by Perkins, we
were
told it is 80hp. We also have the Amel autoprop. The prop itself
is
clean and the roller bearings that are visable are clean. The
blades
rotate easily. When in calm water she will run at about 7.5 kts
wide
open, but she will only turn up 2,200 RPM. The Volvo manual says
it
should turn up over 4000 RPM. In rough water and head winds, at
2,200
RPM we are lucky to get 3 to 4 kts. Is this a typical situation
for a
SM? Sure seems overpitched. Does not make much smoke and runs at
90C. Ideas? Thanks for your help. Tony