Re: Speed vs. RPM

Ag Av8ter

Hello Vito,

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping that it was in the prop, as I
removed the ducting from the intake side of the turbo (this was when
I was first looking at her) and was able to rotate the turbine drive
wheel easily. That is where I would expect the carbon deposits, not
in the actual compressor side. Do you agree? When I went to the
Volvo manual it said that at the operating RPM I am gettng the
engine is only putting out 33HP. (This from memory so my numbers
might be off a bit. I am in Suriname right now and the boat in the
BVI) I also checcked to see if the wastegate valve was stuck, and
it appears to be working correctly.

I do appreciate you reply and any others you might suggest. This
board is a wealth of info!!!! I can't wait to have my wife read
about how to repaint the stripes on the decks!!!!!

Tony

--- In amelyachtowners@..., asm283 <no_reply@...> wrote:

Hello Tony

This is not an uncommon accurence on the Volvo 80hp. What you need
done is to have the turbo charger removed and have the carbon
inside
the turbo removed. This is not a big deal so dont let your
mechanic
make it one. What happens is that carbon deposits built up inside
the turbo housing and stop the turbo from rotating. Thus the
reduction in power. Once this is done and all things being clean
you
should be able to run at 2700 to 2800 RPM and have a speed of
about
8.5 knots.

Hope this helps

Vito

WANDERER ASM#283

--- In amelyachtowners@..., "agav8ter" <agav8ter@>
wrote:

Hello all,
We have a S/M #266 and it is fairly new to us. Question: #266
has
the
Volvo engine that has a sticker on it saying built by Perkins,
we
were
told it is 80hp. We also have the Amel autoprop. The prop
itself
is
clean and the roller bearings that are visable are clean. The
blades
rotate easily. When in calm water she will run at about 7.5 kts
wide
open, but she will only turn up 2,200 RPM. The Volvo manual
says
it
should turn up over 4000 RPM. In rough water and head winds, at
2,200
RPM we are lucky to get 3 to 4 kts. Is this a typical situation
for a
SM? Sure seems overpitched. Does not make much smoke and runs
at
90C. Ideas? Thanks for your help. Tony