Re: Speed vs. RPM

amelliahona <no_reply@...>

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, "agav8ter" <agav8ter@...> wrote:
Tony:
This is a simple thing but once when I couldn't get adequate RPM from my Yanmar (SM
Hull # 335), and after I checked everything else I found that the fuel shut off valve had
been bumped and was slightly restrictive of fuel flow. Have you checked to make sure you
don't have excess fuel suction? Other things would be restricted fuel filters etc. The
engine would start and run fine but just wouldn't develope full RPM (power).

Just my two cents worth.

Gary Silver

Hello all,
We have a S/M #266 and it is fairly new to us. Question: #266 has the
Volvo engine that has a sticker on it saying built by Perkins, we were
told it is 80hp. We also have the Amel autoprop. The prop itself is
clean and the roller bearings that are visable are clean. The blades
rotate easily. When in calm water she will run at about 7.5 kts wide
open, but she will only turn up 2,200 RPM. The Volvo manual says it
should turn up over 4000 RPM. In rough water and head winds, at 2,200
RPM we are lucky to get 3 to 4 kts. Is this a typical situation for a
SM? Sure seems overpitched. Does not make much smoke and runs at
90C. Ideas? Thanks for your help. Tony