Re: Speed vs. RPM

Ag Av8ter

Hello Gary,

What a good idea! Of course I would start bt reaing the engine down
only to fine the fuel shut off valve half closed!!! I am in
Paramaribo, Suriname at the moment, but will return to Tortola in a
few days, and will certainly check it out. I did have the tank
cleaned and fuel polished right after I bought the boat, so your
suggestion would be an easy fix!

BTW: WORLD CITIZEN is on a mooring at Trellis Bay, Tortola BVI, and
any Amel's are certainly welcome to stop by for a Sundowner and
conversation. We should be there for quite sometime.

Tony
WORLD CITIZEN SM#266

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, amelliahona <no_reply@...>
wrote:

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, "agav8ter" <agav8ter@>
wrote:
Tony:
This is a simple thing but once when I couldn't get adequate RPM
from my Yanmar (SM
Hull # 335), and after I checked everything else I found that the
fuel shut off valve had
been bumped and was slightly restrictive of fuel flow. Have you
checked to make sure you
don't have excess fuel suction? Other things would be restricted
fuel filters etc. The
engine would start and run fine but just wouldn't develope full
RPM (power).

Just my two cents worth.

Gary Silver

Hello all,
We have a S/M #266 and it is fairly new to us. Question: #266
has the
Volvo engine that has a sticker on it saying built by Perkins,
we were
told it is 80hp. We also have the Amel autoprop. The prop
itself is
clean and the roller bearings that are visable are clean. The
blades
rotate easily. When in calm water she will run at about 7.5 kts
wide
open, but she will only turn up 2,200 RPM. The Volvo manual
says it
should turn up over 4000 RPM. In rough water and head winds, at
2,200
RPM we are lucky to get 3 to 4 kts. Is this a typical situation
for a
SM? Sure seems overpitched. Does not make much smoke and runs
at
90C. Ideas? Thanks for your help. Tony