Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Maramu blisters

Bob <bob.sarff@...>

Thanks Eric for your reply.  I'm thinking of doing the same thing but wanted others opinions.  Much appreciated.  I may wait until next season in NZ after another 6 months in the tropics.

Bob

On Feb 24, 2015, at 4:20 PM, sailormon kimberlite@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

My previous boat had about 400 blisters.

I ground each one down with a dremel tool .

I then waited a few weeks , as it was summer and filled all the holes with epoxy putty and faired the hull. I then put on 3 coats of Interprotect - Interlux InterProtect Epoxy Primer . Then one coat of blue bottom paint and 2 coats of black. End of problem. When I saw blue paint I knew it was time to repaint. It was a simple job but tedious and time consuming.  I do not see the logic in removing all the gel coat from a boat if there is not a problem.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

Sent: Monday, February 23, 2015 9:39 PM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Maramu blisters

I have some small blisters since I purchased me 1985 Maramu 7 years ago.  I've always been told that they were small and just cosmetic.

This latest haul out in NZ I'm being told that I should have a complete osmosis repair and it could take 2 1/2-3 months for the hull dr dry out after grinding and before 3 coats of epoxy can be applied.  The cost is estimated to be $25,000 nzd.  

My question to other Maramu owners is, is this a common problem with older Maramu's?  Has anyone with a similar problem taken a different approach (like grinding the blisters individually yourself vs using a me jibe to skim off the entire chop layer of fiberglass.

Thanks for any input you can furnish.

Bob

S/V Chara

Hin 173

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.