Some thoughts on Volvo-Autoprop issues

rbenven44 <no_reply@...>

Hi,

A couple of years ago, I posted my experiences with the Volvo RPM
issue, but I'll repeat them now to address the recent questions. I
have SM #195, 1997 model, with Volvo Penta TMD22 and Autoprop.

In July 2002, while in the Azores, I found the engine not giving
me full power. I had the injectors cleaned, but still could not get
over 2100 RPM. Cleaning the prop did not help (I have a Brownie's
Third Lung, and spent a lot of time underwater cleaning the prop to a
fine polish!)

In September, in Lanzarote, I removed the turbocharger (very easy)
and took it to a diesel car mechanic in Arecife. He cleaned the
substantial carbon deposits from the "hot" side (the turbine that is