Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Jordan Drogue

sailormon <kimberlite@...>

From: amelyachtowners@... [mailto:amelyachtowners@...]
Sent: Friday, March 06, 2015 2:24 AM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Jordan Drogue

Hello Gerhard,

I have a 157 cone drogue not 147.....  I would check with Roddy again.  The indicated number of cones on the Jordan site also says 157 cones.

The price for a Jordan drogue bought from Roddy is much less than the USA quoted price.

For Eric,

I am most interested in your giant snatch block.  Post piccies when done??  Also of your chafe preventers.

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/edson-marine--leather-turnbuckle-covers--P002_065_007_505

Made by Edson Marine- the company that makes steering pedestals-they last forever in 3 sizes. Must be put on with zip ties as the Velcro doesn’t hold.

The Snatch Block is still in production.

Fair Winds

Eric

Many thanks,

Jean-Pierre Germain

SY Eleuthera, SM 007

On 6 Mar 2015, at 05:34, sailormon kimberlite@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

The backstays are a problem but I would not shorten them. They really soften the stretch of the drogue and with sufficient chafe gear it will not be a problem.

The shock load on the  drogue is surprisingly small as the cones take most of the load. It is amazing to watch it work.  I am just finishing a monster snatch block that will pull the bridle away from whatever backstay is being rubbed by the bridle-Speak to dave about the length.

As chafe gear I use leather Velcro lined turnbuckle covers which were made by Edson. I further attach them with “zip” cable ties.

They have to be inspected and moved every hour.

You should also fashion some device to fit over the chock when retrieving the drogue. This will prevent you from ripping the cones while they pass over the chock.

Be careful with the horn of the primary winch as it will also tear the cones.

Finally you will need to give the primary winch a break every minute or so as the thermal overload built into the winch will cut out and stop the winch. The winch will have to be hand tailed as the drogue is too big to  fit into the winch jaws.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376