Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Super Maramu Jib Furling Specs Summary:

Eric Freedman

From: amelyachtowners@... [mailto:amelyachtowners@...]
Sent: Sunday, March 08, 2015 11:37 PM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: RE: [Amel Yacht Owners] Super Maramu Jib Furling Specs Summary:

Gary,

Who changed the rigging out for you?

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

From: amelyachtowners@... [mailto:amelyachtowners@...] On Behalf Of amelliahona
Sent: Saturday, January 17, 2015 8:05 AM
To: amelyachtowners@...

Dear Colin:

I will write a detailed document on alll things "SM standing rigging change" when I have a moment and better internet.  I will summarize what has been posted authoritatively on this site as well as my own experience.  Here is a brief account.  The rigging arrived on a 2.5 ft by 2.5 ft pallat in a box about 24 inches tall, wrapped in plastic wrap and all the end fitting were welll protected.  All parts right down to the clevis pins, washers and cotter pins were included.  Everything labeled in French and so the translations I provided in the files section helped us know where things went.  Weight was 130 kg.  The riggers I hired were knowledgeable having been on the job for many years but lacked in details relative to Amel and like so many things in the Caribbean less than completely careful.  Before work started I had to insist they use padded tools to prevent marring the chrome plating of the turnbuckles etc.  Even so they breeched the plating on a couple of turnbuckels and scratched the pain on my mizzen mast in a couple of places.  It required three riggers 20 hours to do the change out and I contributed about 8 hours myself removing the boomerangs, all the locking screws, positioning the various parts and doing the disassembly and re-assemblty of the foil from the socket of the manual jib furling fitting (drilling out 8 pop rivets and then the saga of getting the foil out of the socket, more to follow).  The riggers simply gave up on that project, and two engineers who I consulted suggested it that it was corroded in place and recommended cutting it off and buying a new manual jib furling fitting, (yeah right).  Indeed there was no/minimal corrosion and the joint finally came apart.  The rivets I purchased based on the info on this forum were too long and the head diameter too large and I had to shorten them using a Dremmel tool and mount them in a drill to file down the head to fit the counterbore recesses of manual jib furling fitting.  I will post specifications for the rivet length and diameter when I write it all up.  Plan on at least two people, three in some instances, and about 50-60 man hours to do the job.  Those on this forum who said it can be done in two days must be supermen.  If I were to do it again and time was no factor, I would do it myself with a hired assistant.  The masts are straight, the rigging is tight (far tighter than previously), I am told that things will stretch and indeed during a 7 hour sail yesterday in 22 knots I didn't see any of the sag in the leeward shrouds that I had previously been seeing (my rig had not been touched in 14 years since it left the factory).  Now the real question, did it even need to be done?  See my note on the Waddington Factor in another post.  This seemed to be an invasive process.  Perhaps I should have just tightened my existing rigging and carried on doing careful inpsections.

For specific questions please feel free to enquire.

Sincerely,

Gary Silver

s/v Liahon Amel SM 335