Re: Anchor Chain

bobparry1947 <bob@...>

When we bought our SM in 2004, she came with 50m of 8mm chain. Last
year, we bought a new gypsy from Amel but you should be able to get
one from a Lofrans distributor as listed on their website or any
Lofrans supplier. We now have 90m (we had ordered 100m) of 10mm short
link hot dipped chain. Be aware that there are two sizes of short link
so match the chain to the gypsy. We have an anchor swivel between the
anchor and the chain.

We don't have a problem with storing the chain in the chain locker and
have not had any problems in that area. Nor is the weight a problem.
We did find that the chain peeler was catching the chain as we brought
it in. As we were not able to easily get a new one, we took it off. So
far, that has worked well. Don't use rope near coral.

Can't help with chain suppliers as our boat is in the Med and we are
Australian.

Bob and Ann Parry
Nowornot SM#33

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, "mike_ondra" <mondra@...> wrote:

Having purchased "Drifter" SM #240 in October we are having great fun
exploring and beginning to understand some of the myriad systems on
board. Recently checking the anchor chain locker for the first time
from the fore stateroom, we found a mound of rusted chain requiring a
hammer to break it up. Me-thinks it time to replace the chain.

Being in the US, metric chain seems unatainable, hence a potential
incompatibility with the windlass gypsy. Anyway, looking for
suggestions, knowing that there are probably as many opinions about
anchoring as there are skippers.

1) Recommended size/type chain. Thinking 3/8" G40 or G70, but can a
replacement gypsy for that size chain be found for this windlass.
Alternatively, is metric chain available in the US at palatable prices.

2) Recommended rode configuration. Thinking 100-150' of chain and
100'-150' of rope. Planning cruising in Caribbean and South Pacific.

Thanks for any help with this,

Mike Ondra
"Drifter" SM #240