Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] I think we bought a boat! Fire extinguisher question

Andrew & Kate Lamb

Thanks Bill

We don't appear to have that installed on our boat

Andrew

On 4 Apr 2015, at 12:13, 'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Andrew,

I missed it for years.

If you have the automatic engine room fire extinguisher you have a tiny "starter" bottle in the ceiling of the engine room with a large CO2 bottle connected to it...both require service. The large CO2 bottle is laying on its side inside a white painted  wooden box located in the port lazzertte, forward and all the way to the stbd side.

You will also have mounted on the stbd side of the steps, a large, manually operated extinguisher, which is plumbed into the engine room. Next to it, possibly a smaller multi-use extinguisher.

Bill Rouse
BeBe Amel 53 #387
Sent from my tablet
+39 333 121 8115 Italy Mobile
+1832-380-4970 USA Voice Mail

On Apr 4, 2015 10:51 AM, "Andrew Lamb andrew.lamb@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Bill

I don't think I have seen a tank in our port lazarette , we have a large tank on the starboard side of the cabin steps /ladder for the engine room. Maybe I missed this, whereabouts in the locker is it?

Andrew

Ronpische
SM 472

On 4 Apr 2015, at 08:39, 'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Duane,

I have had them serviced in St. Thomas, Singapore, and Turkey. I have never heard "can't do it." I wonder what all the vessels do in the port of Miami?

BTW, I had a hard time finding the automatic engine room primary CO2 tank. It is inside a wood box in the port lazzerret. Three or four screws hold the box in position...remove them to expose the tank.

I found it is cheaper and better to buy new small ones for the forward and aft berths, and refill the two at the companionway, the small starter in the engine room, and the large one I described in the lazzerret. Normally, the same guy will recertify inflatable life jackets and life buoys, if you have any of those.

Good luck and welcome again to the "club."

Bill Rouse
BeBe Amel 53 #387
Sent from my tablet
+39 333 121 8115 Italy Mobile
+1832-380-4970 USA Voice Mail

On Apr 3, 2015 9:40 PM, "sailor63109@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

It seems like we're going to close on a 2005 Amel SM next week (#477).  We're making a list from the survey and one thing we need to do is have the fire extinguishers serviced.  It looks like they are original (brand = Gloria?), which is a German brand I believe.

I called a Fort Lauderdale company and they said they could only refill U.S. brands, something about a special license.

Does anyone know of a Fort Lauderdale or Miami company who could service the SM's Gloria extinguishers?

Thanks,

Duane Siegfried