From: amelyachtowners@...
[mailto:amelyachtowners@...] On Behalf Of asm283
Sent: Friday, March 24, 2006 12:56 AM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Volvo TMD22 heat exchanger

Hi Mike

As I write this my cooling system is apart for serice. Same sort of
issues, blocked tubes with growth and calcium deposits. The miximg
elbow was corroded and needs replacement. I did find what looked
like weeds. I cant believe that these got trough the strainer then
made it past the impeller and then into the tubes. It must be some
kind of growth. I have spent quite a bit of time in the tropics and
strange things grow out here. This is the first time I have done
this on my 6 year old boat.

As far as the carbon built up in the turbo. This is a trait of this
engine. It seems that everyone has this problem. Just put it on your
maintenane list. I have had it cleaned and serviced twice in the
past year. I have done a lot of low RPM motoring in the past year
(600 hours) wich will cause the carbon built up. You will find that
you will run at low RPMs in order to get better fuel economy.
Important for long passages.

Also, check your muffler for corrosion.

When you say that you got the engine up to 4,000 rpm is with the
prop engaged. What was your speed.

Good luck with your SM. Sevice her and she will treat you right. I
crossed from Guadaloupe to New Zealand this year and not a thing
went wrong with the boat. People with much more expensive and newer
boats had many more problems that I did.

There is a maintenance list written by Mr. Selo of Amel floating
around this site. Follow his recomendations and the boat will work
well. Maybe someone who is closer to you can send it to you.

Vito Ciaravino

ASM # 283

Wanderer

--- In amelyachtowners@..., "mike_ondra" <mondra@...>
wrote:

After de-winterizing our recently purchased SM 2000 and starting
the
engine, we rapidly blanketed the marina in what could easily have
been mistaken as a June fog on the Maine coast. Unlike fog it did
not lift or burn off as the day progressed.

Turns out the heat exchanger was at least 50% blocked with sea
grass, pine needles and other small debris as well as general
crud.
Perhaps it was the restricted flow that resulted in extra high
temperatures on the exhaust side and perhaps steam and water
pushing
back from the injection elbow into the turbo which was
significantly
carboned up. After a thorough cleaning of both the heat exchanger
and turbo, the engine burns clean and now peaks at 4000 rpm. We
hadn't tried to run it up last fall, but after dewinterizing and
before this cleanup it seemed to flag at around 2600 rpm.

Photos of the heat exchanger core are posted under Aletes SM#240.
One can see the amount of buildup on the core tubes and pieces of
debris jammed into the tubes and laying in the end caps.

This experience leads to two questions.

1) How did this debris get through the strainer? It seems the
strainer basket does not have a compressible seal at the top or
bottom, and in fact has a bit of vertical play. Might there be
enough of a gap to allow a blade of sea grass or pine needle to
sneak around the strainer? Would adding a compressible gasket to
the top and bottom of the basket provide the requisite seal?

2) Why does the Volvo manual not mention maintenance on the heat
exchanger or on the turbo? From what we found, it would seem a
look-
see would be appropriate at least every 500 hours.

Interested in the experience of others on these issues.

Mike Ondra
S/Y Aletes SM#240

_____

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS