Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Ground Behind Nav Station

karkauai

Hi Mark,
I have purchased a silver/silver chloride probe (look on boat zincs dot com) which is used with your multimeter to check "hull potential".  It was about $125 U.S. plus shipping, and is the least expensive way to see if you have a current leak.
My understanding is that even if you have some inappropriate connections between battery and bonding systems, you may not have a problem...yet.  It may take a fault in some electrical component to get the destructive current leak.
If you check hull potential and find a leak, it would be prudent to stop everything and find the problem.
If hull potential is normal you have more time to sort it all out.
It is recommended that I check hull potential every time I add or replace equipment, tie up to a new dock, change anchorage, and once a month even if nothing has changed.  If it shows a problem, investigate further.

I'm still in the process of going through all electrical gear on the boat to check connections.  It's a lot of crawling around, but I'm learning where all the wires run and how things work.

Since correcting the problems with the charger and bonding of the CDrive and engine, I don't see any  voltage between the batteries (12 or 24V).  It will be interesting to see what I find when we're back in the water and I can use my new  hull potential monitor.

I'm still learning, so if anyone sees something here that doesn't look right, please chime in.
Kent
SM243
Kristy

On Apr 13, 2015, at 8:22 AM, 'Mark Erdos' mcerdos@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Bill,

Thank you as always for taking the time. Am I correct in that the Green/Yellow wires should NOT have any connection to the battery neg(-)?

I really wish I understood this better. But no time like the present to learn. The part that makes me scratch my head on this is the Furuno heading sensor (which I am assuming is original)

Yes, please photo the original terminal for me. Thanks again.

With best regards,

Mark

Super Maramu 2000

Hull #275