Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] chain size

Germain Jean-Pierre <jgermain@...>

Hello Gang,

I know the gent who publishes this site..  loads of anchor/chain info.

Cheers,

Jean-Pierre Germain
SY Eleuthera, SM 007… still in refit…!

On 17 Apr 2015, at 20:35, amelliahona <no_reply@...> wrote:

Hi Bill:

I have just been re-reading the various posts on the forum on anchor chain.  I appreciate your insights.  It would appear that Liahona (hull #335) was originally outfitted by Amel with 10mm HT (high test)  ISO 4565 chain.  This is a G40 (Group 40) chain that gives a working load of 7,200 lbs (as best as I can determine).

The only marine chain that I can find in the USA is ACCO chain (now owned by Peerless).  It is listed as 3/8 inch ISO chain with and inside link length of 1.220 inches that converts to 30.988 mm.  In fact Budget Marine St. Martin list this chain as 3/8 in ISO P31, whereas our gypsy (as originally supplied by Amel) is a P30.

Any thoughts on the 0.988 mm difference in pitch making a difference.  I know the DIN 28 mm Pitch doesn't fit the P30 gypsy.

Anybody else out there purchased and used ACCO 3/8 inch ISO HT P31 chain with the original Amel Lofrenz gypsy?

Gary Silver
s/v Liahona
Amel SM 2000  Hull # 335
Lying St. Thomas