Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] How do you remove the Prop shaft??

karkauai

Having had electrolytic damage to my prop shaft and considered all the options, I elected to remove the lower part of the drive and send it to Amel for repairs.  After two months of shipping and  customs delays, it arrived at Amel who sent it to the company who built it for Amel.  They got back to Amel a month later and said they couldn't get tolerances adequate and said they wouldn't send it back with any confidence.  They built a new one and said they wouldn't guarantee anything if I used he old upper part of the drive.  It took another 6 wks to get the new upper drive.

I never tried to disassemble the lower drive, so can't tell you how that is done.

If you decide to send it to Amel, be sure you make clear what will be needed to get everything shipped in a timely fashion.  Then be prepared to get only part of what you need.

I'm 14 months after discovering my prop shaft damage and am still not back in the water yet.

Kent
SM243
Kristy

On Apr 17, 2015, at 5:40 PM, sangaris@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

To the gang,

Unfortunately our prop shaft got bent upon hauling last week - long story but the lifting sling went under the prop.  The bend is 15 thousandths (inch) which the local prop gurus say dictates having to remove it to fix or replace.

Does anyone know how to remove it?

My take from studying what limited material I have is to disconnect the top of the drive from the steel framework, then maneuver the entire drive so I can rotate it and get at the front part where the shaft stub goes into the keel.  Then remove the fairing compound, and hopefully find some sort of end cap that can be removed to allow the shaft to slide out.  But I'm just guessing and that seems too easy.

Any first hand knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

Best to all,

Craig Briggs, 1992 SN#68 Sangaris, Ft Lauderdale.