Yacht Security

John and Anne on Bali Hai <hollamby@...>

I have copied an article about security into the files section. It
appeared in the latest issue of the Royal Yachting Association
magazine.
One of the alarming things about it, at least for those of us in the
Mediteranean, is that it indicates that there have been piracy or
perhaps robbery attacks in Greek and Turkish waters.
One of the worst aspects does not get covered, namely robbers coming
on board whilst the crew are asleep.
When we were in the Caribbean we met one couple who were totally
traumatised by two natives getting on board in the middle of the
night with machetes and assaulting them as well as robbing them.They
were on their way back to Europe to sell their boat and in the
meantime they locked themselves in every evening despite the heat. I
read a report that a similar thing happened to a couple anchored in
a bay in St Lucia. A Swan was boarded in Barbuda and the four people
on board were murdered about 15 years ago. When we were in Venezuela
about that time our boat was out of the water in the boat yard and
there was good security by patrols with dogs etc. but we met a
couple who had their boat in a slip and had locked their outboard on
the transom before retiring. Thieves got on board and took the
padlock keys off the chart table and made off with the engine
without waking them We also had our dinghy stolen whilst we were
asleep in a small marina at an offshore island. The thieves had cut
through the painter and made off with the dinghy with a 15 hp
outboard. Luckily we were able to buy a new locally made dinghy and
another engine in Venezuela quite cheaply. The loss of a dinghy is
potentially a major problem as it makes it very difficult to get
ashore when at anchor so we also bought a cheap plastic dinghy as a
precaution.
What should one do.
So far as the yacht is concerned it would be very easy to have a
mesh covered frame to slide in on top of the washboard/hatch and of
course to have some way of securing any hatches with grills so that
there is still ventilation. Joshua Slocombe used to spread thumb
tacks on the deck which made for the noisy departure of boarders.
So far as dinghies are concerned I believe in making up a long
length of strong but flexible stainless wire with eyes swaged on at
both ends. It should be long enough to secure it to a fixing point
at the front of the dinghy and still be long enough to have about 3
or 4 yards of scope for those many occasions when there is only one
place for all the cruisers to go ashore
I did have a nice long plastic covered wire made by Masterlock but
one day the eye splice fell off as the plastic had chafed through
and the non stainless wire had rusted through without any obvious
sign of weakness !

Happy sailing, Anne and John SM 319