Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] How do you remove the Prop shaft??

karkauai

Hi Craig,
You can't turn the lower unit without removing the upper part of the drive.  You have to disconnect at the coupling, move the engine back a bit, lift the upper into the engine room (on SM 243 you can use a block and tackle on the boom, but it takes a bit of manual labor as well since the drive is under the deck a ways), then you can unbolt and remove the foot.

Again, I didn't try to remove the shaft from the foot, so I don't know what you are going to find there.  I guess you have the schematic (files section by Svbebe CDrive SuperMaramu) and cut away pic of the drive (https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/amelyachtowners/photos/photostream/lightbox/1478115671?orderBy=mtime&sortOrder=desc&photoFilter=ALL#zax/1478115671). I hope that Amel will help you with instructions.  I'd try to avoid sending it back to France if at all possible if you want to be back in the water anytime soon.
I'll call later today, I feel your pain, my friend!
Kent
SM243
Kristy

On Apr 17, 2015, at 5:40 PM, sangaris@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

To the gang,

Unfortunately our prop shaft got bent upon hauling last week - long story but the lifting sling went under the prop.  The bend is 15 thousandths (inch) which the local prop gurus say dictates having to remove it to fix or replace.

Does anyone know how to remove it?

My take from studying what limited material I have is to disconnect the top of the drive from the steel framework, then maneuver the entire drive so I can rotate it and get at the front part where the shaft stub goes into the keel.  Then remove the fairing compound, and hopefully find some sort of end cap that can be removed to allow the shaft to slide out.  But I'm just guessing and that seems too easy.

Any first hand knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

Best to all,

Craig Briggs, 1992 SN#68 Sangaris, Ft Lauderdale.