Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Converting Maramu fridge/freezer to water cooling

karkauai

On SM243 the cooling water for the AC comes from the manifold at the sea chest.  No additional thru-hull. I assume you could do the same thing with the refrigerator if you decided to use a sea water cooked unit.  I really like the idea of using the fresh water tankage as coolant, but I've been very happy with the air cooled units.  I'm not going to change the original system.

As long as diesel is readily available, running the genset for an hour or so twice a day is not an issue.  We wash clothes, make coffee, blow hair dry, and heat the water during our normal recharging times.

Kent
SM243
Kristy
SplashDown Tomorrow!!!

On Apr 21, 2015, at 7:26 PM, Graham Cresswell grahamjcresswell@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Alexandre

Many thanks.  I understand that it is possible to convert the Frigoboat to keel-cooled and, presumably, that also means that it's possible to use the fresh water tank in the keel to perform the heat exchanging without the disadvantages of additional perforation of the hull and the introduction of salt water into the refrigeration system.

There are obviously several avenues to pursue.

With kind regards
Graham
M240 JAMESBY
on the hard, Rodney Bay, St Lucia

On 21/04/2015 18:46, Alexandre Uster von Baar uster@... [amelyachtowners] wrote:

Good afternoon,

I wasn’t going to write on that, but why not…
I was given the same advice to wait at least a year before to change anything and I totally agree.
What in my mind thought was necessary, end up not to be, etc. Over 2 years later, the only modifications I really did was adding some shelves in the closet, and cut opening to store parts under the bed and behind the batteries (I will post pictures at some point).

Regarding the water cool fridge/freezer.
I have the original Frigoboat which is “air cooled”, I am very happy with it, just had to change the thermostat recently.
They do have a model that is both Keel (water) cooled and Air cooled. You really should read about it.
So you will be water cooled in the water and you have the option to become “air cooled” when on the hard, etc.

Sincerely, Alexandre
SM2K #289 NIKIMAT
finishing repair/maintenance Dania Beach, Florida

Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Converting Maramu fridge/freezer to water cooling
To: amelyachtowners@...
Date: Tuesday, April 21, 2015, 12:13 PM

Hello Graham,
I just went through the same
reflections.  My take was different from Bill’s... though
I agree with his point regarding life while on the hard.

I wanted to reduce leccy
consumption in order to have more days without running
genset.  We began with a review of all electrics and
decided to change the refrigerator to a 2 drawer 135 liter
keel cooled model.
It gets its shake down in early
June in Turkey.  I will report my findings after some
use.
Cheers,

Jean-Pierre GermainSY Eleuthera, SM 007.

On 21 Apr 2015, at 17:55, Graham
Cresswell grahamjcresswell@...
[amelyachtowners]
wrote:

Many thanks Bill,

I quite agree that it's a mistake to launch into any
significant or
irreversible change before you're certain that it
will amount to an
improvement and I'm certainly not at that point
yet.  However, there
are various things on the boat that will probably (but
not
certainly) need to be changed and I like to think long
about these
things.  Since I sent my post I have been rummaging
through the
archives and one suggestion that had not occurred to me
is the
possibility of using the fresh water in the keel as the
coolant,
which I think would address you points 1 and 2.  I can
see
significant advantages over sea water but I'm not
sure quite how the
plumbing would work.  I hope that will become clear.

With kind regards

Graham

S/Y Jamesby

240

On
20/04/2015 02:58, 'Bill & Judy
Rouse' yahoogroups@...
[amelyachtowners] wrote:

Graham,

Welcome to
the "club" and the
Group.

I am
going to answer your question
indirectly. I hope
that is OK with you.

My first
piece of advice is sort of like the
"Prime Directive"
which is don't attempt to
"change" anything on your
Amel to make it "better" until
you have lived on her
for at least a year and three years is
best. This
Prime Directive may not fit
your refrigeration question, but I will
get to that
shortly. Unless you have owned an Amel,
you will not
have the deep appreciation for the design
and systems
that Captain Henri Amel has given each of
us. Most of
us have gained that appreciation over
time. I was
discovering some small features that made
me say,
"WoW" at five years
ownership.

Now that
I have said what almost all of us believe,
let me
comment on your refrigeration. First, I am
not an
expert, so what I am passing on to you is
based on my
experience. I cruised the Caribbean for
several years
with air cooled refrigeration. The benefit
that I had
over those with water cooled refrigeration
was:

When I
hauled the boat for maintenance and
antifouling, I
did not have to empty the refrigerator
or freezer.Each
of the boats that I met had many
difficulties with
the growth of fouling inside their
systems to
include barnacles, other creatures and
stuff. It
was a constant problem and a bigger
problem in
certain areas.
Refrigeration
has improved since your Amel was made.
Yes, water
cooled is more efficient than air, but
tell me the
daily amperage you use now and what you
expect.
Depending on your refrigerator, you may
find ways to
improve the efficiency of your current
system. And I
am betting that there is a Maramu owner
here that may
have a suggestion for you.

I hope
that I do not come across too arrogant,
but I am a
Texan and it is in my DNA...some things
cannot be
helped. ;)

Good luck
and fair sailing on your Maramu. Remember
to "respect
the sea" ~ Henri Amel

And,
remember to "respect the Captain
(Henri Amel)" ~ Bill
Rouse

Best,

Bill
BeBe 387

On Sun,
Apr 19, 2015 at 9:41 PM,
cresswell_graham@...
[amelyachtowners]
wrote:

I have just acquired a 1988
Maramu
and am new to this list.

Does anyone have any experience
of
converting the Amel
fridge/freezer to sea
water cooling?  I am in the
Caribbean and
air cooling isn't
particularly efficient.

All advice appreciated.

Graham CresswellS/Y Jamesbyhull number
240

via web post

Reply to sender

Reply to group

Start a New
Topic

Messages in this
topic
(3)

Visit Your Group

New Members
1

• Privacy • Unsubscribe • Terms of
Use

Posted by: Germain Jean-Pierre

via web post

Reply to sender

Reply to group

Start a New
Topic

Messages in this
topic
(4)

--
Remember...

We're currently paying  £1,000,000,000 (yes, a billion pounds)
every week in interest payments on Gordon Brown's credit card.
Well, it was our credit card but he had the pin number.
Labour's plan is just to up our credit limit.
Please don't let them do it - vote Conservative.