Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Converting Maramu fridge/freezer to water cooling
To: amelyachtowners@...
Date: Tuesday, April 21, 2015, 6:26 PM

Alexandre

Many thanks.  I understand that it is possible to
convert the
Frigoboat to keel-cooled and, presumably, that also
means that it's
possible to use the fresh water tank in the keel to
perform the heat
exchanging without the disadvantages of additional
perforation of
the hull and the introduction of salt water into the
refrigeration
system.

There are obviously several avenues to pursue.

With kind regards

Graham

M240 JAMESBY

on the hard, Rodney Bay, St Lucia

On 21/04/2015 18:46,
Alexandre Uster
von Baar uster@...
[amelyachtowners] wrote:

Good afternoon,

I wasn’t going to write on that, but why
not…

I was given the same advice to wait at least a
year before
to change anything and I totally agree.

What in my mind thought was necessary, end up
not to be,
etc. Over 2 years later, the only
modifications I really
did was adding some shelves in the closet, and
cut opening
to store parts under the bed and behind the
batteries (I
will post pictures at some point).

Regarding the water cool fridge/freezer.

I have the original Frigoboat which is “air
cooled”, I am
very happy with it, just had to change the
thermostat
recently.

They do have a model that is both Keel (water)
cooled and
Air cooled. You really should read about it.

So you will be water cooled in the water and
you have the
option to become “air cooled” when on the
hard, etc.

Sincerely, Alexandre

SM2K #289 NIKIMAT

finishing repair/maintenance Dania Beach,
Florida

On Tue, 4/21/15, Germain Jean-Pierre jgermain@...
[amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...>
wrote:

Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Converting
Maramu
fridge/freezer to water cooling

To: amelyachtowners@...

Date: Tuesday, April 21, 2015, 12:13 PM

Hello Graham,

I just went through the same

reflections.  My take was different from
Bill’s... though

I agree with his point regarding life while on
the hard.

I wanted to reduce leccy

consumption in order to have more days without
running

genset.  We began with a review of all
electrics and

decided to change the refrigerator to a 2
drawer 135 liter

keel cooled model.

It gets its shake down in early

June in Turkey.  I will report my findings
after some

use.

Cheers,

Jean-Pierre GermainSY Eleuthera, SM 007.

On 21 Apr 2015, at 17:55, Graham

Cresswell grahamjcresswell@...

[amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...>

wrote:

Many thanks Bill,

I quite agree that it's a mistake to
launch into any

significant or

irreversible change before you're certain
that it

will amount to an

improvement and I'm certainly not at that
point

yet.  However, there

are various things on the boat that will
probably (but

not

certainly) need to be changed and I like to
think long

about these

things.  Since I sent my post I have been
rummaging

through the

archives and one suggestion that had not
occurred to me

is the

possibility of using the fresh water in the
keel as the

coolant,

which I think would address you points 1 and
2.  I can

see

significant advantages over sea water but
I'm not

sure quite how the

plumbing would work.  I hope that will become
clear.

With kind regards

Graham

S/Y Jamesby

240

On

20/04/2015 02:58, 'Bill & Judy

Rouse' yahoogroups@...

[amelyachtowners] wrote:

Graham,

Welcome to

the "club" and the

Group.

I am

going to answer your question

indirectly. I hope

that is OK with you.

My first

piece of advice is sort of like the

"Prime Directive"

which is don't attempt to

"change" anything on your

Amel to make it "better" until

you have lived on her

for at least a year and three years is

best. This

Prime Directive may not fit

your refrigeration question, but I will

get to that

shortly. Unless you have owned an Amel,

you will not

have the deep appreciation for the design

and systems

that Captain Henri Amel has given each of

us. Most of

us have gained that appreciation over

time. I was

discovering some small features that made

me say,

"WoW" at five years

ownership.

Now that

I have said what almost all of us believe,

let me

comment on your refrigeration. First, I am

not an

expert, so what I am passing on to you is

based on my

experience. I cruised the Caribbean for

several years

with air cooled refrigeration. The benefit

that I had

over those with water cooled refrigeration

was:

When I

hauled the boat for maintenance and

antifouling, I

did not have to empty the refrigerator

or freezer.Each

of the boats that I met had many

difficulties with

the growth of fouling inside their

systems to

include barnacles, other creatures and

stuff. It

was a constant problem and a bigger

problem in

certain areas.

Refrigeration

has improved since your Amel was made.

Yes, water

cooled is more efficient than air, but

tell me the

daily amperage you use now and what you

expect.

Depending on your refrigerator, you may

find ways to

improve the efficiency of your current

system. And I

am betting that there is a Maramu owner

here that may

have a suggestion for you.

I hope

that I do not come across too arrogant,

but I am a

Texan and it is in my DNA...some things

cannot be

helped. ;)

Good luck

and fair sailing on your Maramu. Remember

to "respect

the sea" ~ Henri Amel

And,

remember to "respect the Captain