Found: Lost RPPM


Ag Av8ter
 

Hello all,

Been a while since I have been able to get on the web. A while back
I was asking if everyone that had the Volvo TMD22 and the Amel
Autoprop had trouble getting their engines to rev up to the published
max RPM in the manual.

Well I found my missing RPM, and it was not the prop (although I
still think that the prop is overpitched for the engine.)

I removed the turbo and of course it was plugged solid with carbon
and "coke". I soaked the exhaust side in brake fluid for three days
and then got a wrench on the intake side of the turbine wheel and
started to work it back and forth. After about 30 minutes of this
the wheels where loose enoung to spin freely. I put it all back
together and took WORLD CITIZEN out for a spin. Results: before max
RPM 1800, after max 3,000. I feel that if I adjust the wastegate
actuator I could get more RPM and power. Speed went from about 6 kts
to a measured 8.6 kts. I am very pleased!! Of course, now I will
start complaining about the increased fuel consuption!!!
Downside .... after I put it together and deciding to run it, I left
the heat shield off so I could better watch for leaks. Then I took
her out to sea and ran her hard. Of course as I came back to my
mooring at a sedate idle all was well until I went to put her in
neutral. Oopps, no neutral, no reverse. The shifting cable had
layed back across the hot side of the turbo and melted itself. Oh
well at least I was going slow and did not hit anyone or burn
myself!!!

Enjoy your Amel's,
Tony
WORLD CITIZEN
SM #266

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.