Re: ZF Hurth Transmission troubles

Craig Briggs

Hi Duane,
The white froth, as Olivier notes, suggests water mixing in with the transmission oil via the heat exchanger. At the same time the puddle below suggests you check the washer around the drain plug. Mine is a metal washer and was totally corroded away on one side causing leakage - easy fix, although I had to use a non-metalic washer. The white froth could just be air and oil.
Btw, where in West Palm is Wanderer? We may head up that way shortly.
Cheers, Craig Briggs, SN#68 Sangaris, in Fort Lahdeedah.

---In amelyachtowners@..., <sailor63109@...> wrote :

We're new Amel owners, and on our first outing the transmission (ZF Hurth Model ZF25-2.8) lost it's oil.  I'm a far cry from a mechanic but it appears there is a leak based on the small puddle of oil under the unit.  There is no oil in the reservoir for the dipstick and there is some white froth on the dipstick.  The oil is only on the deck and not much of that really, so it wasn't a high pressure side leak. If anyone has suffered through this would you please relate to me what your problem was so I could be better informed?  I plan on calling a repair facility on Monday, there are several Factory Authorized service centers here in West Palm Beach Florida.

Peggy was heartbroken over this, though she seems in better spirits today.  I'm hopeful that she will trust the boat again.

Duane

SV Wanderer #477