Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Maramu - Main Mast Grounding / Bonding

Stephen Davis

All very good questions which I would like to know the answer to. Our boat was struck by lighting in 2011 prior to our ownership, most of the electronics were destroyed, and some wiring was burned as well. It cost the previous owner who was self insured a about 25k in repairs. It would be nice to be able to avoid such problems in the future, but I've never heard of a sure way to do that. Hard to overcome the power of Mother Nature.

Steve Davis
Aloha SM72
St Augustine, FL for a few more weeks.

On May 9, 2015, at 08:27, 'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

I love this kind of question and I really like challenging Nigel Calder, who I believe is right the majority of the time.

So let me add some questions to this thought proces:
1.) Does anyone know the range of power of a lightning Strike?
2.) Does anyone know how to direct the electric power generated in a lightning strike to follow a predetermined path?
3.) If you were sure you were going to have a lightning strike and happened to know the answers to the first two questions why would you bond all of the electrical devices together to share the power of that lightning strike?

I really trust Henri Amel's decisions, especially when there are two or more possibilities....AND even when "some experts" say something else.

But, to confuse matters, I heard the rigging and masts are part of the bonding system on the 54.

Bill Rouse
BeBe Amel 53 #387
Sent from my tablet
+39 333 121 8115 Italy Mobile
+1832-380-4970 USA Voice Mail

On May 9, 2015 10:57 AM, "j.lochhead@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi,  I have read on a previous thread that the masts are not bonded on the SM. I have a Maramu and it appears to be the same.  What I am not sure is Why this is so.  Should it not be bonded?

Further I have noticed that the forward through hulls are not bonded either.  I am sure these should be, correct?

James

Mahiti #147