What do you get when you cross a parott and King Kong?

eric freedman

I don’t know but when he talks you listen.

My point with the joke is that lightning is such a powerful force that it goes wherever it wants to and destroys whatever it wishes

.

Kimberlite was struck by lightning in about 2006. Over $100,000 worth of damage. It even blew the prop off the bow thruster.

From memory here are some things that were blown out:

Bow thruster assembly, jack, thruster motor. Main furling motor.

175 amp alternator, circuit board in the generator, all batteries.

2 radar chart plotters, linear autopilot, and computer, all sailing instruments, vhf radio, ssb radio , 2 instrument repeaters, 2 autopilot heads, Stereo, engine starter motor, and a lot more that I cannot remember.

Fortunately in my case

It did not put any holes in the hull

The insurance adjuster asked how I knew I was hit by lightning ? I showed him what was left of my VHF antenna the last 8 inches the other 20 or so inches was vaporized like  a welders rod.

If you look at old barns with lightning rods you will see that they use at least 1/0 gauge wire sometimes 00 gauge. This would be difficult to install in a sailboat.

Even if it was installed, it doesn’t guarantee prevention of lightning damage.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376