Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] B&G Hydra 330 - processor

Stephen Davis

Hi Peter,

My SM is also a 1992, and for now the B&G instruments are working. Recently, both of my multi function displays were difficult to read, and the buttons were not working well. I took them out, and sent them to Myles Electronics in Deland, Florida for repair. www.myleselectronics.com/

Myles is  British gentleman, and has been repairing B&G equipment for more than 20 years in his one man shop. He is very knowledgable, and has a lot of old spares which no one else has. Just about everyone in the USA, including dealers, send old B&G equipment to Myles for repair. He was able to replace both LCDs and get the buttons working in mine for about $200.00 U.S. Also, I have seen our B&G processors or EBay several times in the last year.

With that said, our B&G instruments are very old, and I assume they will fail sometime during our planned 10 year circumnavigation. We purchased a Raymarine I70 multifunction display system pack for about $1200.00. It consist of a thru-hull combination speed/temp/depth transducer, mast head wind, and the display. At our haul out recently, we installed the hull transducer, and I installed the wind transducer at the top of mizzen. The I70 has a very nice display, and it integrates everything you need into one display. Also the new Ray equipment is NEMA 2000 compatible, it integrated easily with my newer Raymarine autopilot, and with my new Vesper Marine AIS. It is also easy to add other Ray instruments with one cable off the NEMA 2000 backbone.

I'm keeping my B&G equipment, but now have a complete backup should it decide to expire of old age. Should you decide to go this route, you will be amazed by how functional these new displays are.

Regards
Steve and Liz
Aloha SM72
St Augustine, FL for a few more weeks

On May 11, 2015, at 08:21, mausi@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hello,

I got the B&G instruments, transducers and sensors and the Hydra 330 installed on my SM (build 1992). The processor does no longer work and after calling into B&G UK, I learned that there is no replacement or spare availlable.

Did someone in this group found a solution which keeps the sounders and sensors and the instruments (or parts of it) or is it mandantory to throw them all away and just install something new?

Thanks for your help,
Peter