Onan Kubota generator circa 1999

Mike Ondra

Upon startup this spring after 6 months or so idle, generator started up fine but within seconds went to BLACK smoke. After shut-down and checking things, started again, BLACK smoke, and quit. Now cranks but doesn’t start.

Diesel mechanic after 3 hours is stumped. Replaced fuel filter and fuel seems to be getting to the injectors. Glow plugs seem to be working. Oil tested, comes up clean, thinking internal moving parts OK. He says its not getting to starting RPM. Ignoring the prior startup and black smoke, he says either starter bad or there is load resistance in the system somewhere preventing reaching starting RPM.

My current theory, which mechanic is not buying, is that over the winter some fuel (after the filter) went bad and fouled the injectors. Black smoke coming from lack of atomization of the fuel and no start due to blocked injector.

Anyway, being away from the boat, can anyone give me the Kubota engine model for the Onan generator circa 1999. We are hull #240. I am thinking the next step is to replace the injectors when I can ascertain the exact model number.

Thanks,

Mike Ondra,

Aletes