Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Onan Kubota generator circa 1999

Germain Jean-Pierre <jgermain@...>

Hello Mike,

I was fortunate enough to receive an Onan 1 day maintenance course.  One of the items covered was which engine do you have.

My own boat has a 6.5 KW Onan (replacement of original German 2 cylinder job) and it is based on the Kubota 1105 CC 3 cylinder engine.  A course mate has a Amel 54 and he also had an 1105 with slightly different fuel pump and injectors.

In both cases it was a Kubota 1105.

Good luck and post your findings when fixed.

Kind regards,

Jean-Pierre Germain
SY Eleuthera SM 007

On 18 May 2015, at 08:26, 'Mike Ondra' mdondra@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Upon startup this spring after 6 months or so idle, generator started up fine but within seconds went to BLACK smoke. After shut-down and checking things, started again, BLACK smoke, and quit. Now cranks but doesn’t start.

Diesel mechanic after 3 hours is stumped. Replaced fuel filter and fuel seems to be getting to the injectors. Glow plugs seem to be working. Oil tested, comes up clean, thinking internal moving parts OK. He says its not getting to starting RPM. Ignoring the prior startup and black smoke, he says either starter bad or there is load resistance in the system somewhere preventing reaching starting RPM.

My current theory, which mechanic is not buying, is that over the winter some fuel (after the filter) went bad and fouled the injectors. Black smoke coming from lack of atomization of the fuel and no start due to blocked injector.

Anyway, being away from the boat, can anyone give me the Kubota engine model for the Onan generator circa 1999. We are hull #240. I am thinking the next step is to replace the injectors when I can ascertain the exact model number.

Thanks,

Mike Ondra,
Aletes

Posted by: "Mike Ondra" <mdondra@...>