Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Bilge Pump cycle counter?

karkauai

I'm going to see if I can put one on mine...seems like a great idea.   Maybe for the Yanmar, too.
Kent

On May 21, 2015, at 11:46 PM, sailormon kimberlite@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Kent mine is a mdkav I believe 7.5 kw.

Sent: Thursday, May 21, 2015 8:58 PM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Bilge Pump cycle counter?

Great!  I'd like to meet you and see Kimberlite.

ONAN is MDKAL 6.5mW

Kent

On May 21, 2015, at 12:15 PM, sailormon kimberlite@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Kent,

What model onan do you have?

I will be in Ny for most of the summer. Hope to see you.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

Sent: Thursday, May 21, 2015 4:07 AM

Nope, I don't have one.  That'd be nice to have, do you have a part number or any info on it?

Does your engine have a similar sensor?

Thanks Eric.  Doesn't look like I'll be up your way for another 6-8 wks.  You going to be there this Summer?

Kent

SM243

Kristy

On May 20, 2015, at 10:49 PM, sailormon kimberlite@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Kent,

On my Onan , if I recall correctly, it is mounted on the rubber hose above the fuel pump. I think the hose connects the raw water pump to the heat exchanger. The sensor is sort of disk shaped with a nipple on the bottom and 2 leads on the top. It screws into a pipe in the hose. I believe Bill from BeBe has some photos on the site as the sensor gets clogged with rust and will shut down the engine. It is right in your face if you look near the water pump.

Fair Winds

Eric

Sent: Wednesday, May 20, 2015 10:37 PM

Hi Eric,

Nope, no water flow sensor that I'm aware of...of course that doesn't mean there's not one there (:

Where is it located in the cooling system and what does it look like?

Kent

On May 20, 2015, at 7:41 PM, sailormon kimberlite@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Kent,

I thought there was a water flow sensor on the Onan to prevent this problem. Do you have the raw water vacuum alarm on Kristy?

Fair Winds

Eric

Sent: Wednesday, May 20, 2015 8:12 AM

My reward is being back on the water again.  No accolades to the guy who just checked the sea chest strainer and forgot to reopen the thruhull before starting the generator...then spent 45 min changing the impeller and fishing blade parts out of the heat exchanger.  I may be my own worst enemy.

Still reading -940mv on my hull potential, so happy that there doesn't seem to be any ongoing electrical leak.

Thanks to you, Bill, and so many others here, I didn't give up a year or two into owning my dream boat.

Kent

SM243

Kristy

On May 20, 2015, at 2:21 AM, 'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Trevor,

What do you estimate the chances of that sea chest valve failing when closed? I estimate almost no chance the way it is designed. OK, maybe a lightening strike. If the sea chest valve exploded due to a direct lightning strike, the pump will continue to pump until it runs out of battery and sea water will rise to the level of the waterline. If you have closed the aft valve to the aft watertight compartment, the sea water will be contained in the engine room to about the height of the top of the sea chest. I believe your insurance company would be very happy with the situation because your boat did not sink when the lightning exploded that valve.

AND, I never said disconnect to gray water sump pump from the batteries.

Duane, unlike Kent's SM Kristy, you have only one valve and it is at the sea chest, and it is probably quite different than the typical thru-hull valve that you have seen before. Take a look at it...you will see.

Kent, thanks for adding the information as to what is connected at the battery side of the switch. I think you may be our new electrical expert. ;) You deserve some sort of award for all that you have been through.

Bill

BeBe 

And

On Tue, May 19, 2015 at 10:33 PM, seafeverofcuan@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Bill,

What do you tell your insurance company if the diesel tank fails, the sea chest valve fails, or the hull gets damaged ,when they ask you who disconnected the batteries?

Regards,

Trevor

Seafever

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.