Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: H6 AutoProp Overhaul Instructions/Parts Info Posted in Files Section

Andrew & Kate Lamb

Hi

I finally got all the blades disassembled – two of these were relatively straight forward and with the instructions from various sources (thanks Eric and Alexandre) the hardest bit – getting the thrust bearing race on the blades  off – was eventually straight forward and the blade races on two of the blades just dropped out. The third blade was a different story - interestingly the one that I on reflection have never been able to push grease in through the side grease point. It was a complete nightmare and needed some extreme measures to get the bearing race out (eventually in pieces) – it turns out that it was the race that should be in the hub not the blade and therefore being and exact fit to the channel in the blade was blocking the grease from getting in (hence my confusion on initial inspection) and had seized in place. Getting this out was not without some damage to the blade but I think it will survive – This prop is 10 years old and I don’t believe has ever been serviced so the bearing races must have been put in upside down at manufacture.

Anyway I think the statement in the assembly instructions;

“4.         Now fit the thrust bearing (#9), into the blade and hub. Note that the races are of different inside diameters.  IMPORTANT...Fit the largest inside diameter race into the blade. If not fitted correctly you will restrict the grease flow into the propeller. Place the captured balls & race into the hub.”  - is VERY important.

Andrew

Ronpische

SM2k 472

Canet en Roussillion, France

Date: Sunday, May 24, 2015, 12:09 AM

Alexandre

Many thanks – that’s a great
page with the overhaul guide and Gary’s documents,
together with Eric’s comments,  I now have a much clearer
understanding – as I
understand it the side blade grease point must enter behind
the upper part of the thrust race and this just must be
clogged with grease and debris – so once I have managed to
remove this sand cleaned the blade it should be patent
again.

Many thanks

Andrew

Date: Saturday, May 23, 2015, 11:13 AM

Hi

Whilst our

boat was on the dry and after the normal greasing of the

auto-prop H6, I noticed that one of the blades
doesn't

turn as easily as the other two also when I push the
grease

through the central cap it doesn't come out the side

blade grease hole like the other two. I have stripped it

down and the ball races, seals and central removable

bearings all seem ok the only difference that I can find
is

what seems to be another bearing I don't think one
that

can be changed which seems more tightly fixed into the
blade

in the "bad" blade than the other two. Also I
am

able to turn by hand the inner side of the bearing on the

two "good" blades. It does not look like this

bearing can be removed easily in any of the blades but on

the "good" blades if I syringe white spirit

through the side blade grease hole it trickles through

behind this bearing where as I can't get any white

spirit through in the "bad" blade side grease

hole. When I put it all back together the "bad"

blade feels marginally stiffer than the other two. The
lips

seals seems fine on all of the blades.

I wondered if anyone had knowledge

or experience enough to know whether I should be too

concerned about one of the blades being slightly stiffer

than the other two and thoughts / advice on what to do

next?

thanks

Andrew

Ronpische