Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] message from delivery captain input

karkauai

Hi Bill,
Tell your delivery captain that the Furler can be operated manually from the cockpit if he has a long enough line. It is crossed around the Furler and run through two blocks attached to the bottom of the second stanchions from the bow, then run to the small cockpit winches.  It takes a long line, but if he has it he can furl from the cockpit.

I would bet that the small piece of track is somewhere on the boat, along with one for the mainsail track.  Antal may be able to supply that piece of track when you order the new car.  If you have to order from Amel, send an email describing what you need, and call Maud personally.  If you don't call, your email may not be addressed for a week or two.

Best of luck,
Steady as she goes.
Kent
SM243
Kristy
In Deltaville, VA until I get back to the boat in early July, then heading North again for the Summer.

On May 24, 2015, at 11:11 AM, 'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

I will make these observations:
  1. When you get that 27mm Antal car for the mizzen, you should also get a small piece of 27mm track so that you can place the new car on the existing track without losing the new ball bearings. You might want to get this from Maud, as she will know what you are describing as I bought a small piece of 27mm track from her. When your boat was delivered new from Amel, it had this piece of track. I am curious as to how they lost the ball bearings. This usually happens when a track end piece comes off.
  2. Regarding the Genoa Furler, I looked at the drawing and I have no idea what he is describing. There are several drawings in the FILES section of the Owners Group. One is genoa furler Diagram.pdf which is 342KB...maybe small enough to send via sat phone to him...have him look at it and tell you what failed. Once you find out, then maybe you can get the part from Maud.
  3. The car on the mizzen boom is not a big deal, and is probably easy to find.
  4. The genoa furler was designed to have a manual backup system and from what they have described, they are following those procedures.
  5. I am not sure what he means when he says, Amel/Riza will want to know????
Bill
BeBe 387

On Sun, May 24, 2015 at 4:33 PM, william_maffei@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi all -

Wondering if anyone could chime in on this message received from my delivery captain... I am headed to Bermuda to meet the boat in a little over a week.

"Bill we found that to elements have failed over the last five days sailing in a breeze. One, the head sail furler has an issue. The drive plate that attaches to the motor appears to have seared it's bolts and will not drive the roller. ( Amel/Riza will want know,) This is not a pin failure but the plate under it, the one it engages.). We've got a fix working for now using a line crossed to the mast winches. The other is the car on the mizzen boom. The ball bearing have come free and it binds. I've rigged a work around for it now. You do need a car it is an Antal car for 27 mm track. See if you can find another and bring it to Bermuda.
It would be helpful if you brought a detail drawing of the head sail fuller to Bermuda. We shall shall run as we are the rest of the way.  It a ppears strong and safe."

Thanks as always for the help. So far this forum has been nothing but beneficial to me as a new owner.

Thanks,

Bill