Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Fixed prop

Patrick McAneny

I just read another study that also determined that a fixed prop created more than twice as much drag as a freewheeling prop. But what I want to relate is that this article claimed that Yanmar and Volvo both believe that the transmissions should be in neutral to prevent damage and could cause warranty issues .I do not know if that is true ,if concerned you may want to speak to a rep. Pat

-----Original Message-----
From: Patrick Mcaneny sailw32@... [amelyachtowners]
To: amelyachtowners
Sent: Wed, Jun 3, 2015 10:21 am
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Fixed prop

Just as I sent  my question about fixed vs. unfixed props to the group , my wife sent me the results of her google search . Yachting monthly said that this subject had been debated for decades so they conducted tests that determined that a spinning prop produced less than half the drag of a fixed prop. That at seven knots you would lose approx. one knot while fixed. That seems to jive with what I experienced.  Pat