Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Bottom Paint Warning

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

I am convinced that Micron66 is the best antifouling for the tropics. My conviction is rooted in using it for many years, renewing it every two years and first-hand comparisons I have made with antifouling others have used. That said, I may be biased, because Micron66 was my choice. And, it generally costs more than others.

As mentioned in this thread, International Paint warns that taking Micron66 into fresh water will harm its effectiveness. I assume that is why International produced Micron77, which is effective in fresh and saltwater. Unfortunately, the EPA will not approve Micron77. I believe that in the last 6 years the EPA has blocked all new antifouling applications. Therefore, Micron77 is only available outside the influence of the EPA (some countries chose to follow the EPA). We applied Micron77 in Malta, and it is available in all of the EU.

I guess if the EPA inspects our hull, the antifouling will morph to Micron66.

Kent, I am not sure, but if that tin-based paint was a hard paint, but, if it is, the primer International makes for Micron66 may work for you. If I were you, I would talk directly to one of the International Distributors, or directly with International.

One more remark: I have found that the less costly Micron Extra is not as effective as the more costly Micron66 & Mucron77, but Micron Extra may be OK for non-tropical use.

Bill Rouse
BeBe Amel 53 #387
Sent from my tablet
+39 333 121 8115 Italy Mobile
+1832-380-4970 USA Voice Mail

On Jul 4, 2015 10:20 PM, "Vladimir Sonsev sonsev52@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Good information.
Thanks.

Vladimir
"Life is Good"
SM 345

On Jul 4, 2015 8:16 AM, "Kent Robertson karkauai@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

The Kristy saga continues:

3 1/2 yrs ago I had the bottom painted in Trinidad. Sea Hawk's Island 44 was recommended. After taking the old paint down to gelcoat (it had 12 years of paint), a barrier coat was applied, then 2 coats of this tin-based paint (which is banned in the U.S. by the EPA). Great paint...lasted 3 + years and probably could have gone another 6 months.

I called a SeaHawk distributor and asked what they recommended since I couldn't buy it in the U.S., and he recommended their Island77. No mention of barrier coat or anything else.
I hauled out in Fernandina Beach, FL and had the bottom cleaned and lightly sanded, then 2 coats of Island77 applied. Then I discovered the prop shaft damage and the boat stayed on the hard for a year. Before launching I had another coat of Island 77 applied.

After sailing for only 6 weeks, I discovered the zincs were half gone already. I decided to haul out again so I could look at the prop shaft and have the topsides polished. All that new paint was GONE!

I called SeaHawk again, and this time they said "Nothing sticks to that tin-based paint." They recommended sanding it all down to gelcoat again.

If that isn't bad enough, the EPA requires that it be removed in an enclosed space, doesn't allow sandblasting it, only chemical stripper and sanding the rest with vacuum collection of dust, and disposal in a lined landfill. $10K just for paint removal! Plus a new barrier coat and new paint.

Moral of this story is 'Don't be lured into using banned paint unless you are going to be somewhere that you can buy it again when it's time to repaint." Apparently many places where you could buy it 3 years ago have now quit selling it.

I sure do seem to learn the hard way, don't I?

Steady as she goes.
Kent
SM243
Kristy