Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Thank you Kent !!! Loose bolt in C-drive and broken spurrs

karkauai

I can't surf the net right now, Eric.  I'll find it tomorrow.
The hole in the lower CDrive (what I'm calling the Foot) where the bolt goes through is about 8 cm in diameter.  The bolt goes through a stainless sleeve (thin, less than a mm thick with a collar at the top).  Between the sleeve and the foot are two pieces of rubber hose, one inside the other, that fit snugly around the sleeve and snugly into the hole through the foot.  They absorb any shock when the drive is put in gear, and vibration when running.  If you can wiggle the foot back and forth when the bolt is in place, those rubber bushings are worn and should be replaced.  The Foot should be immobile when bolted to the keel.

There is a rubber washer between the bottom of the foot and the keel that I guess should keep water out of the threads, but I'm skeptical that it's tight enough to do the job.  I don't really see what good the sealant does on top of the bolt, since it is going through the sleeve and is also "protected" from below by the iffy rubber washer.   Like I said, on Kristy there was no sealant on top of the bolt and it looked like new.  I don't know what kind of thread protector was used before, but the bolt held firmly and came out without too much difficulty.  I'll see if I can find it, but I think the instructions from Amel said NOT to use a thread lock.
More tomorrow.
Kent
SM243
Kristy
Currently Deltaville VA

On Jul 11, 2015, at 8:10 PM, sailormon kimberlite@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Kent,

My C-Drive bolt was sealed with a rubbery substance and was slightly domed at the top , I always thought it was a rubber cap for something.

I do not understand what you are speaking about with respect to the bushings.

Could you Please direct me to a drawing of the drive. I know it is somewhere on our site.

Fair Winds

Eric