Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Bow thruster motor overhaul

Andrew & Kate Lamb

Thanks - I have stripped the motor -fortunately I have some gear pullers on board - brushes and bearings are ok but seems that most bars on the commutator have a resistance of about 0.2 ohms with the adjacent bars except for 4 which have a resistance of greater than 1k ohms - these 'broken' ones are unevenly distributed around the commutator. When I put it back together with the armature lined up in such a way that there was a low resistance across the leads (connecting A1 to D1) and applying 0v to A2 and +24v to D2 then the motor burst into life for an instant and stopped then with a high resistance and no further movement.

Amels advice is they currently do not have a replacement motor but are researching a solution for the future but the quickest fix is to get the armature rewound.

Andrew

Ronpische
SM 472

Currently in Menorca

On 14 Jul 2015, at 14:02, Chris Smither yachtakwaaba@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Pretty sure ,some years ago,we had the bearing and bushes checked by electrical contractor in Phuket
 Cheers
Chris

On 14 Jul 2015, at 12:39, 'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Andrew,

Giovanni Testa, SV Eutikia, SM428, (gtesta23"at"tin.it) pulled the electric motor for a bearing, I think, but may have overhauled the motor.

Try to email him.

Bill BeBe 387
Barcelona

On Tue, Jul 14, 2015 at 1:02 PM, Andrew Lamb andrew.lamb@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi all

When leaving the port a couple of days ago it became apparent that the bow thruster had stopped working - the solenoids are activating on moving the joystick from port and starboard and I verified that there was the correct voltages going to the motor according to the circuit diagram - I have therefore concluded that the bow thruster motor has malfunctioned so have removed it and fixed the shaft up with wires and a pulley. Before I did this I dived and checked the bow thruster propellor was not snagged and that I could turn the blades freely.
I could not find anyone having attempted an overhaul of this motor on the forum - does anyone have any experience of this?

Thanks

Andrew

Ronpische
SM 472