Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Chain Locker Drainage

Ric Gottschalk <ric@...>

Let me add that that the anchor drain can be blocked at the frwd head drain. There is a “T” where the anchor locker drain and shower intersects. Hair from the shower can clog the in the T and prevent the locker from draining.  Installing a “Y” helps. You may also find that a filled anchor locker will let the water migrate into the portside lockers  under the settees. This happens on a starboard tack. I installed a separate small bilge pump under floor board next to the head thru hull as a back up. Finally, I suggest using  modeling clay to plug the chain fall at the deck. It doesn’t harden and comes out when letting the chain out.  I had also had a second chain locker access made on the portside of the bulkhead.  This allows me  to spread the chain out due to limited size of the locker for my 325’ of chain. Hope you don’t have to learn the hard way as I did.  This last haul out I removed all the chain to paint it (red, White, Blue every 25’) and found leftover delaminated plywood pieces  from a lazerette  floor repair.

Unfortunately this took me years to sort this out.

Cheers,

Ric

Bali Hai, SN24, Annapolis

Sent: Monday, July 20, 2015 12:01 PM
To: Bill & Judy Rouse; amelyachtowners@...
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Chain Locker Drainage

Thanks B & J,

I believe it should be the same and actually spotted the pipe and the valve before, but seems like the only access to Chain locker hole is through the same joint of the pipe.

Brgds

To: "amelyachtowners@..." <amelyachtowners@...>
Cc: santorinlo18@...
Sent: Monday, July 20, 2015 2:58 PM
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Chain Locker Drainage

I am not sure because I have little experience with a Santorin, but a Super Maramu's chain locker drains into the gray water sump. There is a valve below the bow thruster that needs to be open for it to drain. Also, putting muddy chain in the locker will stop up the drain...

I attached a photo of the drain valve in a SM

I hope this helps.

Bill

BeBe #387

On Mon, Jul 20, 2015 at 12:42 PM, santorinlo18@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi, (SANATORIN) can anyone tell where is the draining hole of the chain locker and the access to it???

I have just observed some water in the chain locker, the access to it is from the starboard side of front cabin (removing the plate), but the drainage is seem to be at the portside (into the pipe >>> into the bilge by the pipe coming from anchor washing pump) but no visible access from the chain locker side.

Thanks

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.