Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] YANMAR 4JH4-HTE EXHAUST MIXING ELBOW - PLUG AND ZINCS

Mark Erdos

Alex,

The original exhaust elbow failed with less than 900 hours on the engine. I replaced the elbow with the improved Yanmar part but purchased the stainless steel one from ebay for a spare when I found them later on. The ebay part is really well made and you can buy it with confidence.

You also asked about a turbocharger repair kit. I couldn’t find one for Yanmar. They only sell the complete new unit (stupid expensive). I have a friend that has the same engine and he was able to find one. There are only a couple of companies that manufacturer turbo chargers. He was able to figure out who made it and got a generic kit (sorry, I do not have the info). This unit is made by a third party and not by Yanmar. Rebuilding the turbo charger was beyond my skills, so I had mine rebuilt by a local shop for about $450.00. They worked mostly on auto turbochargers but had no problem working on the unit and getting the parts. Note: if you turbocharger has ceased up because saltwater backed up into the unit, replace it with a new one.

With best regards,

Mark

Super Maramu 2000

Hull #275

www.creampuff.us

Currently cruising Chesapeake Bay

Sent: Sunday, July 26, 2015 5:26 PM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] YANMAR 4JH4-HTE EXHAUST MIXING ELBOW - PLUG AND ZINCS

Thanks Mark did you install one? Why would you?

Alex

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.