From: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
[mailto:amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of asm283
Sent: Monday, May 01, 2006 8:42 PM
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: BOWTHRUSTER SEAL PROBLEMS

Hello

Seals leaking is a common problem. Changing the seals regularly
helps. I change them every time the boat is out of the water. It is
a very simple procedure. There are 3 seals 1 inside the boat and two
between the shaft and the unit.

The Bow Thruster can be removed and serviced while the boat is in
the water. You need a special tool from Amel or a diver. I have
never done this but I believe if you search this site you can find
the best procedure.

There is a way to adjust the pressure that is put on the seals by
adjusting the motor travel. I have described how to do this in the
you put the safety pin in this may help.

When you remove the unit dont forget to change the oil. If there is
water in the oil you will also need to change the seal on the prop.
Again very simple procedure.

Good luck

Vito

Wanderer

asm 283

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, "L. CAMERON"
<solarconstruction@...> wrote:

FROM LADY DIVINA, SM 317
MY BOWTHRUSTER IS LEAKING ALOT OF SEAWATER ONLY WHEN SAILING
THRU SOME SWELL, BUT NOT AT ANCHOR. A 4-5 HOUR SAIL WILL LEAK 2-3
GALLONS INTO THE BILGE BY THE FORE HEAD PASSAGEWAY.
MY QUESTIONS ARE:
1) WHY IS THIS UNIT WITH VERY LITTLE USE LEAKING THRU THE SEALS
ON A YEAR 2001 BOAT?? DOES AMEL WARANTY THIS IF IT IS SO COMMON??
2) HAS ANYONE CHANGED THE SEALS WHILE AT ANCHOR?? IS THEIR SEA
WATER INTRUSION WHEN THE UNIT IS DROPPED OUT IN CALM WATERS?
3) WILL GREASING THE SHAFT AND MOVING THE UNIT UP & DOWN TO
LUBRICATE THE SEALS, MINIMIZE THE PROBLEM UNTIL I CAN HAULOUT MORE
CONVENIENTLY??
4) DOES ANYONE HAVE A CLEAR SCHEMATIC SHOWING THE SEALS?? HOW
MANY SEALS ARE THERE TO CHANGE??
THANKS FOR ANY HELP!!! LADY DIVINA SM#317

Sailing
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&;k=Sailing&w1=Sailing&w2=Sailing+yacht&w3=
Amel&w4=Boating+sailing&c=4&s=63&.sig=PlhCW0zvsb13KReuHX3A-Q>

Sailing
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&;k=Sailing+yacht&w1=Sailing&w2=Sailing+yac
ht&w3=Amel&w4=Boating+sailing&c=4&s=63&.sig=SzbkQjL-eN7E93cbJzL0eQ> yacht

Amel
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&;k=Amel&w1=Sailing&w2=Sailing+yacht&w3=Ame
l&w4=Boating+sailing&c=4&s=63&.sig=pKnE4krYP80ImoJWH3305w>

Boating
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&;k=Boating+sailing&w1=Sailing&w2=Sailing+y
acht&w3=Amel&w4=Boating+sailing&c=4&s=63&.sig=-PqrRug6_9dlpPCqNcYXvA>
sailing

_____

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

* Visit your group "amelyachtowners