Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: BOWTHRUSTER SEAL PROBLEMS
The lip seal on the bow thruster’s propeller shaft has 2 sides one flat side
and one concave side with a spring showing.
Which side faces the sea water and propeller?
Amel Super Maramu #376 Kimberlite
[mailto:email@example.com] On Behalf Of asm283
Sent: Monday, May 01, 2006 8:42 PM
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: BOWTHRUSTER SEAL PROBLEMS
Seals leaking is a common problem. Changing the seals regularly
helps. I change them every time the boat is out of the water. It is
a very simple procedure. There are 3 seals 1 inside the boat and two
between the shaft and the unit.
The Bow Thruster can be removed and serviced while the boat is in
the water. You need a special tool from Amel or a diver. I have
never done this but I believe if you search this site you can find
the best procedure.
There is a way to adjust the pressure that is put on the seals by
adjusting the motor travel. I have described how to do this in the
previous post about bow thruster not going up all the way. Also if
you put the safety pin in this may help.
When you remove the unit dont forget to change the oil. If there is
water in the oil you will also need to change the seal on the prop.
Again very simple procedure.
--- In firstname.lastname@example.org, "L. CAMERON"
THRU SOME SWELL, BUT NOT AT ANCHOR. A 4-5 HOUR SAIL WILL LEAK 2-3
GALLONS INTO THE BILGE BY THE FORE HEAD PASSAGEWAY.
MY QUESTIONS ARE:ON A YEAR 2001 BOAT?? DOES AMEL WARANTY THIS IF IT IS SO COMMON??
2) HAS ANYONE CHANGED THE SEALS WHILE AT ANCHOR?? IS THEIR SEAWATER INTRUSION WHEN THE UNIT IS DROPPED OUT IN CALM WATERS?
3) WILL GREASING THE SHAFT AND MOVING THE UNIT UP & DOWN TOLUBRICATE THE SEALS, MINIMIZE THE PROBLEM UNTIL I CAN HAULOUT MORE
4) DOES ANYONE HAVE A CLEAR SCHEMATIC SHOWING THE SEALS?? HOWMANY SEALS ARE THERE TO CHANGE??
THANKS FOR ANY HELP!!! LADY DIVINA SM#317just 2¢/min with Yahoo! Messenger with Voice.
YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
* Visit your group "amelyachtowners
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/amelyachtowners> " on the web.
* To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
* Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo!
<http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> Terms of Service.
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]