Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Refrigerator pump issue

David Pawley

Suggest you try balancing the flows, normally this is done, by closing the SW outlet valve from AC condenser, until either there is a discernible increase in outlet temperature of SW temp (Don't want increase Compressor disch temp) or until you get satisfactory flow to the Dom refrig.

If this works out.

For  a long term solution, the outlet valve should be a valve designed for throttled flow (definetly not a gate valve), the industry method of solving this issue (so long as the SW flow is adequate) is to install a orifice plate (determined by Engineer, or trial and error). Good luck.

On 31 July 2015 at 07:10, James Wendell ms42phantom54@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

I have an Amel 54 and have trouble getting enough seawater flow through the refrigeration units while the air conditioning is running. It seems the 3 AC units, which share a common pump, as do the 3 refrigerator/freezers steel the cooling water. I routinely see the refrigerator compressors overheat and shut down from lack of flow. Each refrigerator compressor has a flow sensor, and with the AC pump running, evidently they do not see enough flow.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? If so, is there a fix, short of installing a dedicated seawater intake for the AC pump?

Thanks,
James Wendell

Amel 54 Phantom (ex Bozo Cinq)