Turbocharger & exhaust smoke-the solution

sailormon <kimberlite@...>

I used to get a black smudge on my hull as most Amel owners do.

I was advised by Joel to put on multiple layers of Teflon based wax in that area.

That worked pretty well.

Now I use Howells fuel treatment available at most fuel oil terminals’ .

Not only is it a biocide, they guarantee 5% better fuel economy. Cleaner injectors and better fuel lubrication.

It is used to store fuel oil, and the #1 diesel treatment at Truck stops.

It was originally suggested to me by Yanmars’ chief mechanic.

Its magical stuff.

http://www.howeslube.com/meanerpowerkleaner.php

check out their fuel savings calculator.

I left one of my auxiliary fuel tanks half full all winter in the Caribbean.

I filled it up on leaving for New York.

We motored for 5 days straight. I looked at the 2 micron filter that I use (I believe Yanmar recommends 10 micron).

today It was clean after burning over 200 gallons of diesel.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

Sent: Monday, August 03, 2015 11:23 PM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Turbocharger & exhaust smoke

Most likely dirty prop and or bottom based on motoring rpms you reported. 

Fair Winds Smooth Sailing To All

Capt Richard 

RP Yacht Brokerage

Newport RI 

We list sell and service fine yachts including Amel's

Cell 603 767 5330

On Aug 3, 2015, at 17:59, sailor63109@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

After a good bit of motoring (about 12 hours) we arrived in Brunswick, GA with a black smudge on the gelcoat at the exhaust port in the hull.  It wasn't extreme, but it was a good bit of soot extending back 4 feet from the exhaust port.  I did notice exhaust smell in the cockpit when at the aft/port corner.

First, is the smudge normal?  Or is it a sign of a diesel engine not completely burning the fuel?  I did have the tank cleaned prior to leaving so the fuel should be good.  I just cleaned the Racor's and afterward ran the engine up to 2,000 rpm, in gear, and got a blast of smoke at about 1,800 rpm that only lasted for 15 seconds or so.

Second, has anyone had to replace or overhaul their turbocharger?  I've read that it can be the cause of excessive smoke at the 1,800 to 2,000 rpm level.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

Duane & Peg

Wanderer, SM#477

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.