Water Maker Salinity Sensor is Not Hooked up to Anything

amelliahona <no_reply@...>

I have spent more than 40 hours drawing complete schematics and logic diagrams for the
Dessalator water maker Control Board on my Amel SM 2000 , Hull # 335. I have verified
that the salinity sensor is wired to the circuit board on pin 11 and pin 12 of plug # 2 (see
the photo section for a component labeled photo of this board).

I HAVE VERIFIED THAT PIN 11 OF THIS BOARD IS NOT CONNECTED TO ANYTHING. PIN 12
GOES TO GROUND BUT THE SALINITY SENSOR THUS CONNECTED IS AN INCOMPLETE
CIRCUIT AND IS NOT FUNCTIONAL. FURTHERMORE, AS CURRENTLY CONFIGURED I CAN
NOT DETERMINE ANY WAY TO MAKE THE SALINITY SENSOR SYSTEM FUNCTIONAL. I CAN
ONLY CONCLUDE THAT THE SALINITY SENSOR ON MY WATERMAKER IS A SHAM
INSTALLATION.

I URGE EVERY AMEL OWNER TO INSPECT THEIR DESSALATOR WATERMAKER CIRCUIT
BOARD. IF YOUR CIRCUIT BOARD IS THE SAME ONE AS DEPICTED IN THE PHOTO SECTION
AND THE SALINITY SENSOR IS WIRED TO PLUG 2, PINS 11 AND 12 THEN YOU CAN BE
ASSURED THAT THE SALINITY SENSOR IS NOT FUNCTIONAL IN ANY WAY.

Another way to determine if your salinity sensor is functional is to see if your system
changes to "good quality" and green LED light at the 55 second to 65 second mark. If it
does then the salinity sensor is NOT functional. The timing function of the control board
determines the start up sequence and does function for high pressure (overpressure) shut
down of the system. No other sensing inputs to the board are functional. It takes about 3
to 4 minutes for the TDS creep to come down to good quality water after system start up.
This brief period of bad water production is of no consequence when compared to the
major volume of water production that follows.

I urge all owners to install a continuous EC (electrical conductivity) monitor with alarm
funciton on the product water line of their water maker. If you do this you will soon find
that the high EC alarm will sound for the first 3 - 4 minutes after startup I have installed a
mute switch in the alarm relay line so that I can monitor the start up sequence with the the
alarm muted and when the EC drops to 450 microSiemens/cm (about 500 ppm TDS) I can
"arm" the alarm by throwing the switch to allow the alarm to sound the second EC goes
over 500 mSiemens/cm.

Dessalator and the Dessalator UK rep have intimated that Amel made this type of
installation. But since the wiring inside the electrical box was undoubtedly made by
Dessalator and not Amel, and Amel has represented all along that the salinity sensor
system was functional, I believe this sham installation was unknown to Amel. The
integrity with which Amel has always conducted itself leads me to believe that this fraud
was NOT perpetrated by Amel. I don't fault Rod Boreham, the UK representative for
Dessalator, as he was just passing along what Dessalator was telling him.

You now know the truth about the salinity sensor on our Dessalator water maker.

Your opposing opinions are welcome. I would like nothing more than to be proven wrong
on this issue.

Regards, Gary Silver s/v Liahona (currently on the hard in Jolly Harbor Antiqua)
Hull #335