Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Fresh Water Pump / expansion tank - IDRO ECOINOX

Andrew & Kate Lamb

Bill

Many thanks - very helpful - I am now away from the boat for several weeks but will investigate further on my return.

Andrew

SM472

On 23 Aug 2015, at 16:03, 'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Accumulator tanks can be purchased any shop that sells water pump systems for home and farm. If I were you, I'd buy one that is 4-6 liters, assuming you can find a place to mount it.

Bill Rouse
BeBe Amel 53 #387
Sent from my tablet
+39 333 121 8115 Italy Mobile
+1832-380-4970 USA Voice Mail

On Aug 23, 2015 4:01 PM, "Bill & Judy Rouse" <yahoogroups@...> wrote:

OK, my mistake...I missed "when running water."

The possibilities are no accumulation of pressure because the pressure membrane is leaking, or pressure switch failing.

Assuming that you have a pressure gauge and that the pressure when the pump turns off is about 2 bar, turn the breaker OFF, then watch the pressure gauge as you turn on a tap. If you lose pressure immediately, it is the accumulator.

Accumulator tanks seem to work best when they are near the source of pressurization, but you should be able to mount one anywhere convenient. The air pressure in the tank should be set to about 90% of the pump cut-off pressure.

Bill Rouse
BeBe Amel 53 #387
Sent from my tablet
+39 333 121 8115 Italy Mobile
+1832-380-4970 USA Voice Mail

On Aug 23, 2015 3:50 PM, "Bill & Judy Rouse" <yahoogroups@...> wrote:

Andrew,

All pressurized system water pumps have a one-way valve on the input side of the pump. This allows water into the pump, but keeps it from going back into the tank and the pressurized system loosing pressure. It is very possible that the cycling is caused by trash in the valve holding it open, or by a worn valve. These are normally brass pipe fittings, usually with 1/2" pipe fittings...even the EU pumps.

You are either loosing pressure, or you have a bad pressure switch. Pressure switches normally do not fail with on/off charistics, so my guess is that your losing pressure.

You can probably test if the one way valve is working by simply removing the input hose. If you get water coming back at you from the pump, it is the valve. These brass one way valves are common to almost any plumbing supplier.

Let me know if this helps you.

Bill Rouse
BeBe Amel 53 #387
Sent from my tablet
+39 333 121 8115 Italy Mobile
+1832-380-4970 USA Voice Mail

On Aug 23, 2015 12:58 PM, "divanz620@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi Andrew,

We don't have an expansion tank behind the hot water cylinder, just the one on the fresh water pump.
My experience if the pump is cycling on and off is
1. there's a leak somewhere causing the pressure to drop
2. the membrane in the pressure vessel is ruptured and the whole system is full of water - replace the membrane.
3. least likely, the pressure switch is faulty....
Hope that might help
Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437