Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Water Maker Salinity Sensor is Not Hooked up to Anything

Ian Shepherd <ocean53@...>

Hi Gary,

Your latest findings make further disturbing reading. Crusader went back in
the water a few days ago, and as promised, I have repeated the tests that
you did on your Dessalator water maker. I have a 160 l/h unit which is now 3
years old.

I removed the salinity tester from the output stage and plugged the hole
with a cork. I started the water maker, got the green 'good quality' light,
then immersed the salinity probe in a cup of seawater. NOTHING HAPPENED. The
water maker continued to fill my freshwater tank.

I then shut the unit down and restarted it with the probe still immersed in
seawater. THE GREEN LIGHT CAME ON AFTER ABOUT 55 SECONDS AND WATER WAS
DIVERTED INTO MY TANK.

So you are absolutely right. The safety feature on our water makers is a
complete sham. I find it quite amazing that any reputable manufacturer could
sell/install what is a life saving piece of equipment for those of us on
long voyages with such a potentially dangerous fault. Every other
manufacturer of desalination equipment that I have inspected has a similar
shutdown feature, that I assume, works? Why does it not on a Dessalator
unit?

Amel say in their manual that there is bad water protection, so why has it
been disabled? If Amel are aware that Pin11 is open circuit, then I consider
them to be highly irresponsible in leading their customers to believe that
the system that they chose, sold and installed does have a reliable
diversion system in the event of bad water being produced. This is
especially true on a yacht where there is only one fresh water tank. Pollute
that tank and you have nothing good left.

I shall write to M. Lemonnier and ask what solution Amel propose to assure
their customers that they have a safe water making system on board. I would
urge everyone else to do the same. The Dessalator system would, I think, not
comply with the Trades Description Act.

Thank you Gary for all your hard detective work. I am sure it is appreciated
by many of us.

Regards

Ian Shepherd SM 414 Crusader