Water Maker Green Light

amelliahona <no_reply@...>

Ian:

The green light on the water maker Does do something. It illuminates
when the diverter solenoid valve switches from sending the product water
overboard to sending the water to your tank. This occurs at 55 seconds
after system start (per the on board oscillator timer and totally unrelated
to anything else). IF ANY AMEL OWNER HAS A SYSTEM THAT DOESN'T
CHANGE TO GREEN AT EXACTLY THE 55 SECOND MARK (+/- a second o
two) PLEASE LET ME KNOW SO THAT WE CAN DETERMINE HOW IT IS
CONNECTED THAT ALLOWS IT TOWORK.

So if the green "Good Quality" LED light illuminates you can rest assured
the water (either salty or fresh) is going to your tank. The green light and
diverter solenoid valve are controlled by the exact same logic circuits and
neither circuit is connected to the salinity sensor circuit (if you can call it
that, since the salinity sensor isn't connected at all and therefore really
isn't a circuit). I have asked myself, "Why have all this circuitry and the
expense of the solenoid valve and plumbing if it isn't going to do anything?"
This is what I don't understand.

I spent an hour on the phone with Rod Boreham, the UK rep for Dessalator
last week. He doesn't know who made the decision to hook the system
up with the salinity sensor out of the circuit. He notes that Dessalator
provides water makers to Beneteau and that they all seem to function as
advertised. If the decision on the Amel model was made on the premise
that it would improve reliability then the ultimate reliability would have
been achieved by eliminating the logic circuits, relay, LED, diverter
solenoid and its associated plumbing and installing a small tap so that
the water could be more easily tasted. To have all that electronic
overhead and then not connect the salinity sensor seems to me to actually
increase the risk that the system will fail. A couple of thoughts have
crossed my mind as to what has happened: 1) could it be that the board
was designed and produced and then found to not work as expected due
to the fact that TDS creep takes more than one minute to come down to
normal levels. Dessalator already had the control panels with green lights
and decided to market the system as if it worked that way, 2) or there is
some way that the system can actually be made to function as advertised
and I am not smart enough to figure how to do that, and the salinity sensor
wasn't hooked up due to a production error? (I have run various scenarios
in my mind hooking the salinity sensor to one of three un-used inputs but
still can't find a method that would allow the sensor to work as described
at the time of purchase).

If Amel requested this installation from Dessalator then Dessalator
probably won't admit it for fear of offending Amel. If Dessalator did
this without telling Amel then Dessalator will probably plead ignorance
to avoid looking bad. At any rate, until proven otherwise I am choosing
to believe that this sham installation was made by Dessalator and that
Amel believed them, just as we all did. After all, why would we not believe
them? Until now!

Regards, Gary Silver