Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Question regarding procedures for aligning engine on SM

seagasm@...

Good morning Patrick, on my system, there is a piece of channel steel between the frame, this is bolted to the top of the C drive by 4 bolts. It is supported by another Vetus mount each end and is secured to each side of the frame. Its job appears to provide additional support to the C drive and keep the engine aligned with the C drive. These two mounts I did not replace since they were in good order. I had to dismantle this from the frame that supports the engine because it was impossible to dismantle the 4 Vetus mounts. It was much easier to raise the engine off the frame and move it aft enough to replace the Vetus coupling and also clear the engine bed mounts. It is not necessary to dismantle the engine bed frame, it just made it easier for me. The job would have taken me a day to achieve but I was only supplied three mounts and had to wait a week for the forth from Vetus in Holland. As mentioned previously, given the age of my vessel, I assumed the engine mounts were never replace. I therefore also assumed if I replaced the new mounts with the same amount of exposed thread as the old ones, I would be correct with the alignment.

Kind Regards
Barry & Robyn
Tradewinds III SM #171