Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] watermaker

dlm48@...

Totally cant agree with the line of this post - not having any axe to grind
her at all being a totally impartial observer - it would appear to me that the
watermaker does not do what it says - or is advertised as doing - that has
nothing to do with routine maintenance - or even routine upgrades of
equipment. To me if both Amel and Dessalator say the watermaker does something - (that
something would appear to be that the watermaker automatically routes good
water to the fresh water storage tank and makes sure that salt water cannot be
routed to the fresh water tank) - and then someone discovers that this
circuit is non functional - because it is not even connected - and this is not a
manufacturing or a quality problem but a deliberate act by Dessalator then
this thread is a very valid thread. I dont see any hidden agenda here at all -
in fact quite the opposite a very open and upfront one - they want this
advertised feature operative - the present situation is deception and a breach
of the trades description act as a minimum.

regards

David.

In a message dated 25/06/2006 07:31:12 GMT Daylight Time, maramu@hotmail.com
writes:

Dear All
I have been following this forum for many years. I found most of the topics
discussed very interesting as at the end, through the discussions, we got to
know our boat better. (I take this opportunity to thank all the members for
their helpful contributions)
Sometimes ago appeared the Watermaker issue. I initially found the topics
interesting, and then I quickly become a bit uncomfortable with the
different postings made by certain members. It seems that some of them have
some interests in keeping the topic alive again and again by bringing back
the same old issues which have been already discussed long time ago. Then I
got the feeling that there was an obvious hidden agenda and the exchanges
were lacking of honesty. Let’s be serious for a while. How ones can claims
that the failure of the Watermaker has spoiled the washing machine, the dish
washer the pumps and the water heater not to mention other stories which I
read which don’t make any sense. This is purely ridiculous. I don’t even
want to argue on the technical feasibility of such scenarios as they sound
so unrealistic. I’m sorry to say that some of the stories which I read here
have more to do with the sailor than the boat or its equipments.……………….
I have no interest neither with Dessalator nor Amel. I’m just the happy
owner of my SM. Obviously through my 7 years of ownership I had some
breakdown, I did change some equipments as every year, progresses are made
in terms of efficiency, electronic improves as well as many new equipments
are launched. With regards to my Dessalator, it has done his job extremely
well although through all these years I have made some improvements or had
to change some parts. To me this is absolutely normal.
Don’t expect to own a sailing boat without having to make some repairs,
carry out extensive maintenance and regularly change some equipments. It is
part of sailing…….. Owning a boat is not cheap.
Now let’s be practical gentlemen. If your watermaker has spoiled your life
and you boat for so many years then buy another one and do what you think
you should do against the manufacturer. It is as simple as that. Accept the
principle that some equipment may fail. This is not a sufficient reason to
state that they are shameful equipments. Even the most sophisticated
equipments can fail. We are hundreds on this forum to make us of the same
boat without having the kind of problems that you are mentioning. Please
spare us the kind of discussion that you are overflowing the forum with as
long as you have an hidden agenda. Share what can be interesting for all of
us in an honest spirit. Don’t make use of this forum to serve your own
interests. I believe that this is the spirit of this forum founder. To
finish spare me your answer as I believe it is of no interest to the rest of
the members. I don’t want to open an additional sterile polemic.

Wit best regards
Erick MEJEAN